Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trailer brake wiring???

Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default trailer brake wiring???

Hey everyone im new to the forum, I have a 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 SLT quad cab.

I dont have a brake controller on the truck but the truck came with a hitch and the flat 4 prong plug just for lights.

I looked under the dash and up near the parking brake pedal there is a plug thats says "electric brake"

Question where does that plug lead? and does that mean the wires are there for me to wire the brake controller and 7 pole plug?

or do i need to run 3 more wires to the rear for the 7 pole plug?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500

everything is there, and pre-wired. the plug you found is where the harness you wire into your brake controller plugs into. if you dont have this harness, usually come in the glove box, then go to your stealership or parts store and get one and wire it to the brake controller and plug it into the plug you found and yours good to go.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: '12 Ram 3500 Big Horn Edition Crew Cab 4X4

When I recently bought my Tekonsha P3 brake controller, I made sure they included the wiring adapter for the Dodge hookup (Part #3020). They go for (about) $12.00 + shipping on Ebay. (I had mine included with the brake controller, so they combined shipping.)
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Moderate User
2008 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydog

Wait. Do you have the 7-prong plug at the back of the truck? I don't understand how there could be a plug and wiring with no 7-prong plug????? My truck came with both so i don't know if you need to wire or not but it sounds like the plug maybe at the rear of the frame? I'd look there see if it's not tucked up back there as well???

I think only the 2500+ series came with the harness in the glove box, not the 1500's.
I too bought a Prodigy P3 and it came with a better harness than factory. The harness to plug from the plug on the e-brake pedal to the back of the controller. No wiring. It has connectors on both ends where as OEM needs to be wired on one end. Here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/P3-Br...Q5fAccessories

Best price around and a nice controller.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 Quad Cab 5.7 HEMI
Send a message via AIM to SHNOOL

I have the 2500, but it is my understanding that if you have the e-brake harness under the dash, then you have the 7 way receptacle on the back as well (part of the OEM towing kit?).

+2 to the others here, the aftermarket kits for OEM to TEKONSHA Prodigy (or P3) cables are the best... snap in, and you are done.

Look to the left of your rear plate bracket for a receptacle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0927080928c.jpg (96.7 KB, 48 views)

Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

I'm looking for a brake controller as well. You guys recommend this one so its good enough for me. I've got the 7 plug on the reciever and the 4 plug is hanging there behind the bumper.

In the cab to the right of the parking brake is a piece of plastic with what looks like a nine slot plug. I guess this is the "port" that you plug the harness into. I'd just order the trailer brake with the right type of oem harness. plug side into the "port" in the cab of the truck and the other into the brake controller, mount the controller somewhere in the truck and my travel trailer now has brakes right?

On another note, if my trailer brakes were dragging, wouldn't they make the same smell my normal brakes would. After I hook this up I want to make sure my brakes aren't dragging.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: '12 Ram 3500 Big Horn Edition Crew Cab 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Best price around and a nice controller.
That's the outfit I bought my brake controller and wiring adapter from. I figure I saved about $50.00 when compared to local prices.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Moderate User
2008 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFist View Post

In the cab to the right of the parking brake is a piece of plastic with what looks like a nine slot plug. I guess this is the "port" that you plug the harness into. I'd just order the trailer brake with the right type of oem harness. plug side into the "port" in the cab of the truck and the other into the brake controller, mount the controller somewhere in the truck and my travel trailer now has brakes right?
Yes. That is correct as long as your trailer brakes are wired and working properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFist View Post
On another note, if my trailer brakes were dragging, wouldn't they make the same smell my normal brakes would. After I hook this up I want to make sure my brakes aren't dragging.
Yes but you wouldn't really smell them because they are so far back. Best bet is to jack each wheel up that has brakes and remove the wheel and spin the brake drum. You should have slight drag. The brake shoes should be barely rubbing in the high spots. If not, adjust accordingly.
If you don't want to go through all that and want to be a lazy man....lol Hook up the brake controller and while backing up at about 5mph with the trailer hooked up, hit the brakes. If they lock up and look like the trailer want to go in the air, they are too tight.
Another way is to drive a few miles around town and get out and feel the drum. It should be just warm to the touch. if they are really hot, they are too tight.
Now, if you are in drive and going 5mph and push the trailer brake lock lever over, your trailer brakes should dtop the truck and maybe even skid if you have dual axles and one axle brakes.
Hopefully that helped out a little.

For the mount, I actually bolted mine on the bottom of the steering column for that stealth hidden look. It's very tight and does rub if I try to drop the steering wheel to the bottom most setting, but why would I ever do that. I have it on the 2nd setting from the bottom and there's enough room. Also, some guys lift their steering wheels when they exit and most guys don't put the steering wheel at the botom location. here's a pic of mine. It's perfectly visible and super close to touch. Just pay very close attention to the steering wheel and make sure you can do a full revolution and not touch the controller. That is why it's recessed off the front lip about 1/2" and why it touches with the steering whel all the way down, but clears the 2nd notch from the bottom.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-02-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default still confused

to the left of my plate is just a blank which pops out for the round trailer brake plug but the truck does not have one currently and the only wire that i clearly see is just the 4 wires for brake, tail and turn, but there is a plug under the dash that says electric brake which has me puzzled why would there be that plug under the dash but no wiring to the rear bumper.

thanks for all the replys i need to figure this out I dont like the feel of moving a loaded car hauler with no brakes on the trailer.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500 QCSB HEMI 4x4
Send a message via AIM to AF_HEMI

I need to get a brake controller and not sure what to get. I'm gonna give this thread a little bump cause i have the same issue ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin58145 View Post
to the left of my plate is just a blank which pops out for the round trailer brake plug but the truck does not have one currently and the only wire that i clearly see is just the 4 wires for brake, tail and turn, but there is a plug under the dash that says electric brake which has me puzzled why would there be that plug under the dash but no wiring to the rear bumper.

thanks for all the replys i need to figure this out I dont like the feel of moving a loaded car hauler with no brakes on the trailer.
KRC210, custom tune, 4.56 Gears, Auburn LSD, LT headers/ORY, Magnaflow Duals, DSP, e-fan, 6 FabTech, Fox Shocks, 35 TrailGraps, black heads/tails, Westin Step Tubes, 3000w Sounds BTC #005, The Forgotten club FOUNDER PICS

Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 AM

Tags
7pin, battery, brake, brakes, connector, dodge, electric, harness, install, oem, pin, prodigy, ram, trailer, wire, wiring