3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Proper procedure to fill cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Great White Wing
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper procedure to fill cooling system?

edited with finail answer. Broken impeller.

5.7 liter.

May have an air bubble. What's the proper way to fill/burp/bleed the system?

Last edited by Great White Wing; 04-15-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Great White Wing
Rookie

Geez, a day and a half and not a single reply to a simple question.

Maybe I should make the title about oil and I could get some help.

Happy Easter

Old 04-13-2009, 05:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you drained everything out, you may have to remove the upper radiator hose and pour through there. if the water pump has an air pocket, it won't push any fluids. Now, if your getting circulation but your level is going up/down drastically, open up the resevoir cap and get the engine warm. That will remove any large air pockets.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Great White Wing
Rookie

That's how I filled through rad cap and let the engine warm. When the t-stat opened I closed the rad cap and topped off reservoir.

I am really stumped by this erratic problem. Just topped of coolant, turned heater off and it wouldn't get up to full temp. Only about 196 according to the scanner reading.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Great White Wing
That's how I filled through rad cap and let the engine warm. When the t-stat opened I closed the rad cap and topped off reservoir.

I am really stumped by this erratic problem. Just topped of coolant, turned heater off and it wouldn't get up to full temp. Only about 196 according to the scanner reading.

You can't close the radiator cap until the engine is fully warm and circulating. The circulating moves the air bubble out of the cap. With your truck cold, remove the radiator cap until it gets fully warm (20-30 minutes at idle). Top off as level drops. Once warm, shut your engine down and let fully cool. If your coolant tank is near empty, then put the cap back on the radiator before the engine cools because it will push fluid out of the radiator and into the expansion tank. I would leave the cap off the expansion tank the entire time. it's really simple.
Just make sure you have coolant in the upper radiator hose. if not, you'll have to unhook it and pour coolant into the hose while it's removed and then re-attach.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Great White Wing
5.7 liter.

May have an air bubble. What's the proper way to fill/burp/bleed the system?
Put the truck at an incline nose up (makes radiator highest point,helps air escape)...I use a steep driveway. Pour coolant through the radiator cap until it's full. Once the truck warms up the stat will pop and suck the coolant down...keep adding coolant with the cap off. Put some coolant in the overflow and when most of the air is out put the rad cap back on...let the pressure build and see if it's sucking from the overflow. Take her for a spin and then recheck...check the overflow a few days later too. Hopefully it's not like my g/f's old POS cavalier that was a PITA to bleed...if it is then repeat several times.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolant is not pushed into the recovery tank when the engine cools. That's the purpose of the tank -- to take the overflow from the radiator. The recovery tank is not "in the loop", it's a dead end. If enough fluid collects there, it goes onto the ground, not back to the engine. As the motor cools, it pulls from the tank, not pushing toward it.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Coolant is not pushed into the recovery tank when the engine cools. That's the purpose of the tank -- to take the overflow from the radiator. The recovery tank is not "in the loop", it's a dead end. If enough fluid collects there, it goes onto the ground, not back to the engine. As the motor cools, it pulls from the tank, not pushing toward it.

When you have air bubbles, yes it does. But when no air bubbles are present, you are correct

Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
True but he asked about bleeding...and about the "in the loop" yes I realize the ram doesn't use pressurized overflow.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Great White Wing
Rookie

Okay, thanks for the hints on filling.

Question- if the upper hose is off the rad, no T-stat and water in the rad. Will the water pump suck it out of the rad and out the upper hose? I tried that and not a drop. Bad water pump???

Quick Reply: Proper procedure to fill cooling system?