3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Test pipe in place of catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM
red knif
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test pipe in place of catalytic converter

My 03 Ram 2500 hemi is eating catalytic converters (two in one year). My son-in-law, who works for EPA, says that since I don't have emission testing I should replace it with a test pipe, or gut the old cat. and put it back. I wonder about the computer and fuel management systems. Will they get even with me by failing? He also talked about poisoned cats, saying that with 150 k miles and origional spark plug wires could cause failure. Has anyone been here and if so, what did you do?
I understand the enviromental concerns, but did you know that the dealer wants $1,300 plus instalation. On line they run closer to $300, but that is a whole different rant.
Red

Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a reason why they call them "stealerships"...

Wires in a Hemi should be replaced every 2nd time you do the plugs (60k) so if you have the originals in at 150k, I would imagine they are crud by now and you are probably experiencing power loss. I'm actually quite shocked you haven't gotten multiple misfires by now. That could cause a host of problems and without a doubt some emissions related, but enough to crap out cats at the rate of two a year, I dunno.

Tune that thing up first! But without emissions testing, you'll be fine to run cat-less (although it IS illegal). You'll generate a CEL, but the post cat 02 does NOT effect anything the PCM does. The light is basically a warning telling you the cat has failed. Now if you were to have a pre-cat O2 CEL, it would effect the A/F ratio and cause issues.
If you do decide to run cat-less, just use non-foulers to get rid of the CEL. A step-by-step on non-foulers can be found in the FAQ section...

Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah a test pipe is fine. you'll have to do it yourself because unless you've got a buddy that owns a shop, you wont find one to put it in for you (highly illegal). Actually come to think of it, a lot states (even the ones without emissions laws) still have a visual inspection. What this means is if a cop pulls you over, he can look under the truck and if theres no cat, he'll write you a ticket. because of this, i'd gut the cat and put it back in there. It'll do the same function as a test pipe, but still pass a visual inspection.

Not running cats will not hurt your fuel systems at all. Many of the members on here run catless (myself included). You'll need to do the spark plug non-fouler trick to get rid of the check engine light (look it up in the 3rd Gen FAQ).

Welcome to the forum. Stick around and you'll learn a LOT

edit: dang it hammer, beat me by a minute!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

If you are going to do it, I would say go with gutting the stock cat and then putting it back in place. That way if anyone ever pulls you over and takes a look under there, it will appear stock. After that, put some non-foulers on and you are set.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

You could also attempt a high flow cat as well, those are really cheap too, and will keep you legal. I'd be skepptical though to what is causing it to eat the cats that fast.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Hi flows are pretty cheap at performance peddler, IIRC around $70 or $80.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Burning oil or running rich will damage cats.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 PM
red knif

Thanks for the advice. I like this form already.
Red

Old 05-26-2010, 12:11 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love how an employee of the "environmental protection agency" suggested you break an environmental protection law.... god i love this country

The following users liked this post:
Stan Z (07-11-2020)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nim81
i love how an employee of the "environmental protection agency" suggested you break an environmental protection law.... god i love this country
Thats what I was thinking also. LOL

The following users liked this post:
Stan Z (07-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Test pipe in place of catalytic converter