3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Just replaced the infamous Recirculation Door in 30 minutes :-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha I just pulled my dash out with the west nile mosquito's chompin down like I'm their last steak dinner & 32oz. beer lol

man thanks for all the simple details & pics, now I've got 137 black dash screws to re-install

Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 AM
mopar74
Professional
Default Does this sound like the recirc door?

Has anyone done this repair recently in a colder area?

I have been getting restricted air flow and have left my selector **** on defrost since last fall.

The bitch of it all is this past fall, and now winter, that I am getting fog/frost on the inside of my windshield. It is particularly worse after I shut off a hot engine and then park for the night with melted snow below the truck. The humidity migrates to the still warm cab and then freezes inside when the temp falls inside the cab.

Has any one local to New England done this repair?
ETA: I am currently one handed with only the weak arm due to injury, looking for help.

Last edited by mopar74; 01-17-2014 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Explanation.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Similar issues in the 1 Gen Durango rear air. The stop tabs on the white couplers break off and allow the axle to continue to turn and break the door. The thread has a couple fixes for the door and you could buy the coupler from Dodge about 12 bucks.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ks-fine-2.html

Old 01-20-2014, 07:47 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This repair requires both hands, it is not something you would want to tackle in freezing temps.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:59 PM
mega cab ram
Amateur

My floor vents do not blow any air. My feet freeze. The other vents seem to be working, but may be a little weak on the air flow.

I know my recirculation door is broke. After reading and rereading this thread I removed my glove box and was able to stick my fingers through the intake grate and move the door around. This is obviously going to be repaired.

I wanted to know would repairing the recirculation door resolve the issue with the floor vents or would that be a blend door issue?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:17 AM
mega cab ram
Amateur

I have found my own answer. Unfortunately I will also need to replace the Mode Door 2. I hate this crap!

Has anyone replaced the mode 2 door with out removing the dash?

Last edited by mega cab ram; 02-02-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 PM
jbuddy56

Originally Posted by 66three83
Just did this job today. A word to those who have the Infinity sound system, this is not an easy job. Those who have the standard sound system don't have to contend with the amplifier that is mounted next to the recirc motor.
What a pain in the a... I gave up last week, and decided this morning to try again. My plan of attack was to remove the entire dash, and replace the whole recirc box. After reading many tutorials on how to remove the dash, I attempted to do so. Not so easy. I had every nut and bolt out of the thing, and still it seemed attached to the defrost vents. Couldn't get it to budge. Not to mention the passenger airbag that wasn't addressed in the write ups that I read.
Finally gave up with the entire dash removal, and decided to concentrate on getting that damn amplifier out of the way. After fighting for an hour to reach an unreachable bolt (there are three that hold it in place), and just to remove the wires took considerable effort, plus bleeding knuckles, finally got it out of the way. Barely. After 6 hours, most of which was going in the wrong direction, I finally got my recirc door installed. It was much missed and I am so glad it's working again!!! However, when I switch to floor, all the air goes to the dash vents. So I guess I have another bad door.
Im trying to get the infinity amP out of my way. It sucks.are you sure its just the 3 screws in the front? Ive been tryin now for about 4 hours. And did you have to unplug the airbag above?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember taking out my old amp. What a PITA it was. I advise anyone changing their system out to just leave it in place and forget about it.

3 screws in a small tight area with very limited hand space

Old 02-15-2014, 08:26 AM
chrisbrn2000

I just had a problem with my 03' Ram HVAC SYSTEM. I didn't have no defrost so to find out my mode 1 door was broken, so I ordered the mode 1, blend door and recirc door from heater treater and they all made of steel and not that cheap plastic the dealer uses. I installed all 3 doors with no problem and I'm satisfied. I didn't mess with the mode 2 door because mine is still good plus its too much trouble to change it. If it goes bad in the future then I'll think about doing it. Heater Treater is the way to go.

Last edited by chrisbrn2000; 02-15-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbrn2000
Heater Treater is the way to go.
Factory door lasted me 9 years and 125k miles before the small pin broke as explained earlier in this thread. Once that small pin breaks, the dc motor ends up beating up the door until the axle breaks free from the door. I looked at HeaterTreater, but the cost seems way out of whack. I looked at the aftermarket, and found that Dorman makes these doors.

See this thread for more info:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post3131510

RockAuto sells the part, $28 plus shipping for the recirc door.

A line out of their instruction manual:
"Using The Dorman metal components will insure that the fix will be permanent instead of replacing the cheap plastic components with more cheap plastic components."

Quick Reply: Just replaced the infamous Recirculation Door in 30 minutes :-)