3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 RAM 1500 Airbag Light after flood

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM
zaphod351
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 RAM 1500 Airbag Light after flood

So my Dodge got flooded by Hurricane Sandy. I just got done replacing the Transmission, and blowing the water out of the diffs and Transfer case. So now that all that's done I still have an Airbag light that wont go off. No codes come up with a DTC scan, from reading other threads I see the Crash/Impact sensor is low in the dash and I had water in the Cab, so good chance it got wet. My question is any way I can verify if it's good or bad, and if it is bad does anyone know the part number for a replacement. Thanks

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can download the service manual from the links in my signature and see if there is a test procedure in there.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
sabin420
Captain

I am not sure about testing the sensor, but after rebuilding salvaged vehicles for a while, I do know their is a separate Airbag computer somewhere inside the cab of every vehicle sold in the US with an airbag. Most of the time, these are one time use computers and they have to be replaced with the airbags if they go off. The airbag light being on means they will NOT go off in a crash and the computer has disabled them. It could very well be the airbag computer. I am not 100% on this, but from my experience, this is the most common source of the problem. They are usually located in the center of the passengers compartment under the center console. I don't know where it is in the RAM. But it is their in the Neon, Charger, Challenger, Avenger, Colt, Durango...etc.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The first one is club cab but shows the location and plug more clear. The second is ram 1500 cab. I just happened to have done one on Friday. If you have seatbelt pretensioners they are a little lower level than the airbag module is. You don't have external impact sensors. The Airbag module does that internally. Unless you have curtain airbags then there are side impact sensor modules in the B-pillars. You won't be able to get the codes from a regular scan tool.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-19-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM
sabin420
Captain

^^^^ That's the Airbag computer. Thanks TNTech

Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by sabin420
^^^^ That's the Airbag computer. Thanks TNTech
Yep, it's in a great place until you get water in there

Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM
sabin420
Captain

TNTech - Ur right about not being able to get the codes with a scan tool. The airbag system MUST be separate from the rest of the car's electrical systems due to federal safety regulations. Here in GA, It is ILLEGAL to sell a vehicle that has the airbag light on. But it happens all the time going from person to person.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by sabin420
TNTech - Ur right about not being able to get the codes with a scan tool. The airbag system MUST be separate from the rest of the car's electrical systems due to federal safety regulations. Here in GA, It is ILLEGAL to sell a vehicle that has the airbag light on. But it happens all the time going from person to person.
Well, it's just that the generic scanners can't go beyond the powertrain, well the engine controller anyway. An independent shop would/should have one that reads everything else too. The more you want to see, the more it costs...lol.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 PM
sabin420
Captain

True...it is connected to the OBD2 port, but it does not connect with the PCM. Safety issue. If the PCM ever shorted out, it would not send a signal to the ACM and set off the airbags. It's a stand alone system and can be read for the right cost from the right service center. He needs to have it checked out then try to find one from a local junk yard. I have found some junk yards that ONLY sell it as a whole system (all the air bags and the computer together) and some that will sell individual parts. Either way, have it checked and make sure you are changing the right part when it comes to something that could possibly (hopefully never have to) save your life.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 AM
zaphod351

Thanks, for all the responses guys. Based on TNTech's illustration I have no doubt the computer got submerged, The truck was parked on an uphill angle, with the nose being the highest point. When I pulled the tranny you could see the water line on the torque converter and it was 2/3's the way up. Also had water still in my rear cup holders. I Thank the engineer who at least had the good sense to place the ECM and the TCM at the top of the Engine Compartment. It's not a huge deal to me the the airbags are off, I only use this beast to haul my *** back and fourth to Home Depot and Tow a boat 5 miles to the Ramp, so it's dosen't get over 50 much. But it just bugs me that something is broken and I have a light to constantly remind me. I doubt I will ever sell the truck, it at 168000 now, I expect to just use it till it dies.

Quick Reply: 2002 RAM 1500 Airbag Light after flood