3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram 1500 Starts, dies a few seconds later

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:45 AM
morgan80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 02 Ram 1500 Starts, dies a few seconds later

Hey guys,

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd with the 4.7L V8. It runs great with the exception of not starting every now and then. It seems that if I let it sit for a day or so the next time I try to start it it will start up, run for a few seconds and die. Not coding, doesn't matter if you give it gas. I thought maybe the air was restricted, bought a new K & N air filter, ran fine for a couple weeks, did it again. Then I looked at the gas cap. The seal was visibly bad, so I replaced it last week. Today I went to start it, same deal.

Anyone have this issue? It only dies upon starting, not when driving. I have around 59,000 miles on it. Spark plugs have been changed. Thinking maybe fuel filter or possibily fuel pump. Suggestions????

Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 AM
brettj2408
Captain

the fuel filters are in the tank. whats your fuel pressure like? that would give you an idea if your pump is bad

Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 AM
morgan80

I'm not sure. What's an easy way to check?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You will have to get a fuel gauge and connect it to the valve on the fuel rail. Do you get any check engine lights or DTC codes? Anything else seem strange?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 AM
morgan80

The only code I get every few days is a P0455 (Large leak evap). I replaced the fuel cap, figured it would take care of this. Nope. I am also wondering if it may be related to my security system (alarm). Any thoughts?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

What type of security system do you have? After market? just disconnect the battery to it. As for the evap, go under the truck and also check the evap canister and hoses that are all right in front of the fuel tank.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:56 PM
morgan80

I have a Viper alarm w/ remote start. I don't know if it's the cause, but have heard of security systems doing similar things. I'll have to try to disconnect it.

As far as the evap leak I climbed under the truck today and noticed that the hose that goes out of the leak pump was cracked in 2 spots. Pretty clearly a bad hose. I just picked one up at my local dealer. Gonna put it on later tonight.

I don't think the evap leak would cause this issue, but needed fixed regardless. Hopefully it will end the DTC from popping up every few days!

I also haven't bought a fuel pressure gauge yet. I plan to sometime this week.

Any other ideas? I appreciate your help!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
mtorrey
Default Mtorrey

Hey there.

I went through what sounds to be a similar situation with my 2002 4.7 QC. My truck died immediately after firing, but would always start fine for the rest of the day. After 6 months of shop tech's at the dealership scratching my head they had replaced plugs, fuel pump, TP sensor, and sent me home with an onboard computer - no success.

I got fed up and went to another Dodge dealership across town and they had it fixed in an hour - all it turned out to be was a fouled injector. It was a gamble because they charge a load to pull the injector rail before they can determine it, but finally let me sleep!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
morgan80

Hey Guys,

So it seems the new vacuum line has fixed the P0455 code. I thought it might have fixed the starting, dying problem as well. It had not happened since I replaced the line. Until today.

I went to leave for work, started up and died. Same deal. I had some concern that my Viper car alarm may be causing this, so I used the remote start and it worked. So I've got something going on there.

Just an update, any other help is appreciated.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

So if you remove the power to the alarm completely, does it still do it or not?

If not then you know the alarm is the issue and you can take it to a shop to be checked. If it still does it then you know the alarm is not the issue.

Quick Reply: 02 Ram 1500 Starts, dies a few seconds later