3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and P brake indicator lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 PM
zach1985
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and P brake indicator lights

Strange occurrence... jumped in my '06 1500 Ram this afternoon and when I started it up the parking brake light and the ABS sensor light were both on. The parking brake wasn't actually engaged and there was no indication of an ABS issue. Everything seemed normal while driving and braking. Drove easy for about 30 min and then parked it for another 15-20 min before starting again. This time neither of the lights were on, the display was normal. No CEL light was ever present. My question is do you think this is cause for concern, and if so how to approach it? Hard to diagnose when the symptoms disappear. Or write it off as a freak incident assuming it doesn't happen again?

I've had some "random" electrical issues in the past (radio randomly not working but then coming back on after turning truck off and then back on) but nothing consistent enough to point to a clear issue.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
zach1985
Amateur

So this happened again last night driving home. This time they didn't come on when i started the truck, they came on after i had been driving for a few minutes. In addition to these lights I also was having problems with the blinkers. When i fully engaged the L blinker it would cause both blinkers to flash.
Seems fairly obvious that it's electrical, but I'm wondering if anyone has a best guess on what the electrical problem could be? Suggestions on how to proceed?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the electronic fuse box... search on this forum.... many issues with it.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:34 PM
djbucky3
Captain

dont turn left?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Buggsy
Professional

Could be a bad wheel speed sensor or corroded harness. I had to replace the harness on my car for both front sensors. It just be a coincidence, but it's pretty common for the turn signal switch to wear out. Out of habit, I never fully engage the turn signal for lane changes or quick turns.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by zach1985
So this happened again last night driving home. This time they didn't come on when i started the truck, they came on after i had been driving for a few minutes. In addition to these lights I also was having problems with the blinkers. When i fully engaged the L blinker it would cause both blinkers to flash.
Seems fairly obvious that it's electrical, but I'm wondering if anyone has a best guess on what the electrical problem could be? Suggestions on how to proceed?

I have been through this exact same thing, and it is a problem of configuration between the computer and the ABS control module. I had to take my 06 to Dodge to get it reconfigured, because
from what a local mechanic told me, they are the only ones that have the software to fix the problem It cost $95.00. Is your cruise control also acting up? As far as the blinkers I would guess a bad multifunction switch

Last edited by Old Man with a hemi; 04-17-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 AM
zach1985
Amateur

Cruise is not acting up... yet. I'm guessing that because the problem is occasional rather that consistent there is something that is on it's way out but hasn't fully gone yet. I'll have to look at the dealer option, so thanks for the advice on that.

I was thinking multifunction switch for the blinkers as well, or else just a loose wire in the steering column. Will have to tackle both issues soon and see how it goes.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by zach1985
Cruise is not acting up... yet. I'm guessing that because the problem is occasional rather that consistent there is something that is on it's way out but hasn't fully gone yet. I'll have to look at the dealer option, so thanks for the advice on that.

I was thinking multifunction switch for the blinkers as well, or else just a loose wire in the steering column. Will have to tackle both issues soon and see how it goes.

The problem I had with mine was also occasional in the beginning and then the lights came on all the time. For a while I could shut the engine off and restart it and the lights would go out. The cruise was because of a broken wire on the differential speed sensor. You will probably have to take it to Dodge for a configuration reset....like I did, to get the lights to stay off

Quick Reply: ABS and P brake indicator lights