3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone know the HP/TQ ratings for stock 9.25" rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 PM
HIHemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know the HP/TQ ratings for stock 9.25" rear end?

I was getting the telltale whine from the rear end, so I took it in to the shop. Sure enough, the gears were worn. I have an aftermarket warranty, but the warranty company's inspector denied the claim due to "power enhancing parts that increased hp/tq levels beyond what the manufacturer designed it for". I have a CAI and I swapped out the muffler... not exactly high horsepower producing mods. I get that insurance companies will always try to get out of paying high-dollar repairs if they think they can.

I informed them of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, but they claimed not to understand, and that it doesn't apply. It's a federal law, so yes it applies. Anyway...

Before this winds up in court, I'm going to try and show them that the 5 hp I gained from those mods are not enough to exceed the design specs of the stock rear end. The only problem is that I can't find what the stock 9.25 LSD rear with 3.92 is rated to. Anyone know? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:27 AM
rought
Professional

look here for the info....

http://dodgeram.org/

Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 AM
abarmby
Champion

A 5.7 Hemi puts out 350hp with 375 torque.
The rears on these trucks must reasonable cope with at least with 1.5 times that, from a safety and engineering point of view.
So a tiny increase on that stock rating that a CAI and your exhaust make, is neglidgable!
A good lawyer would therefore, reasonably argue that point of view IMHO successfully.
Quite simply put This insurance company is as said, trying to weedle out of paying.
They need to be slapped down and made to pay out.
After all, They soon take your premium money quickly enough!
They're just like the corrupt banks these days!
Good luck and hit them where it hurts..... In their pockets!
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 04-24-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:42 AM
HIHemi
Amateur

Rought-
Thanks for the link. I saw that website when I was looking for numbers. A lot of good info there, unfortunately not the numbers I was looking for.

Abarmby-

Exactly my thoughts, though I like to have all my facts straight before going into an argument. Hopefully it doesn't have to come to a legal battle, but out of principal it just might. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:08 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My '74 Monaco had a 9.25 rear in it from the factory (one of the first years that axle was produced). It also came with a 440; even stock, I'm pretty sure my 440 was putting out a helluva lot more torque than a 5.7.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2009-2012 Dodge Rams have the same rear end. They have like 30hp/tq over us.

Also, they have to prove that your mods actually increased your HP, which they can't. Muffler = sound. CAI = better filtration. WHy do they have to be HP gainers?

Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 PM
HIHemi
Amateur

Originally Posted by dirtydog
The 2009-2012 Dodge Rams have the same rear end. They have like 30hp/tq over us.

Also, they have to prove that your mods actually increased your HP, which they can't. Muffler = sound. CAI = better filtration. WHy do they have to be HP gainers?
Exactly! I also just heard from a mechanic at the dealership that the new rams have the same rear end, and are making 395/407. This is such BS.

Thanks for the boost, fellas. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:02 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and what about TOW ratings.... truck plus 7,000 pounds of trailer.... 5 to 10 HP means little .

Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HIHemi
Exactly! I also just heard from a mechanic at the dealership that the new rams have the same rear end, and are making 395/407. This is such BS.

Thanks for the boost, fellas. I'll keep you posted.

Actually the brand new Rams 2013+ have a Borg Warner rear end, so don't go arguing that. You must be specific. 2009-2012!

The only reason I installed a catback is for better sound.
The only reason I installed a K&N is for better flow WHICH BTW....neither voided my Lifetime Powertain warranty!!!

A muffler will never void any type of warranty except for the stock muffler and tailpipe after the muffler.
Most CAI wont void any warranty because 99.9% of them have CARB Certifications.

Although, my mechanic who inspected my truck said that if I had an open filter cone design he would have failed me(water sucking up is a concern)

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-25-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 PM
HIHemi
Amateur

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Actually the brand new Rams 2013+ have a Borg Warner rear end, so don't go arguing that. You must be specific. 2009-2012!
Ah, good catch. You know, the funny thing is that the dealership sells and installs K&N CAI systems, but the warranty inspector seemed oblivious to that fact.

In reading over the warranty contract, there is one small section of "Exclusions" that says 'any alteration to the vehicle, either mechanical or electrical, voids the coverage.' That's such crap!!! That's not even legal! I really don't think they are going to be able to argue their point much longer. I'm confident they are going to have to pay up sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Anyone know the HP/TQ ratings for stock 9.25" rear end?