3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:19 PM
mlarson29
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 engine noise

i have a 05 dakota 4.7 that i recently swapped the engine to an 05 ram 4.7. problem with my old 4.7

-very loud on startup clicking, light knocking sounds like a diesel on startups
-losing a tremendous amount of oil 5L a month on oil.
-cracked head around the timing chain tensioner bolt/very loose chain on the left head
-tremendous amount of blow by

problem with the new engine is it is very loud on startup clicking, light knocking sounds like a diesel on startup.i did a visual inspection of both heads and checked the chain for any looseness before i had it installed and saw nothing wrong with it.

this is the only problem with this engine is that it sounds so bad on cold start ups like my previous engine but has no oil issues that i know of yet and drives like a champ. i spent 1475$ on the engine from a salvage yard who said they fired it up and everything sounded fine before i bought it. then i spent 2300$ on getting it installed and they said it started fine. but it sounds so bad on startups.

any remedies of this problem as i have asked this question in the dakota section with little response now that it is a ram engine i thought i could get some input from you guys.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Check all your exhaust manifold bolts

Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM
ErikMissile
Rookie

I assume you changed the oil and filter but maybe a good additive will help if not using a synthetic. I use Justice Brothers engine treatment with regular oil. It bonds to the metal. It sounds like you just need better oil flow to the head. If this doesn't help you might want to check the sump screen.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Squints
Rookie

try taking the bracket off that is next to the oil pan that bolts up to the tranny. Look in side and see if it has any damage. It's possible that the torque converter bolts might be hitting it if you didnt replace them with the right ones. Another thing could be the plate that attaches to the bottom of the block in the oil pan could have been bent unless it came already installed in the engine when you bought it. You might also want to check all the pulleys. the A/C condenser makes a pretty loud knocking noise that sound like a diesel if the bearings have gone out. I actually have to change mine this weekend because thats the sound its making at the moment

Old 10-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Buggsy
Professional

I don't want to mislead you, but this sounds pretty normal to me. My 4.7 has always had that cold tick and diesel sound. I bought my truck from a family member, which I had been borrowing it from for years before. At least for me, I can say what you are describing is normal.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:28 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

Originally Posted by Squints
try taking the bracket off that is next to the oil pan that bolts up to the tranny. Look in side and see if it has any damage. It's possible that the torque converter bolts might be hitting it if you didnt replace them with the right ones. Another thing could be the plate that attaches to the bottom of the block in the oil pan could have been bent unless it came already installed in the engine when you bought it. You might also want to check all the pulleys. the A/C condenser makes a pretty loud knocking noise that sound like a diesel if the bearings have gone out. I actually have to change mine this weekend because thats the sound its making at the moment
Well the oil pan was never touched so I don't think the splash plate would have been touched. I will have to see about the condenser. If its a bearing I would assume it would make that noise all the time not just until it warms up. The salvage yard in which I bought and unlimited warranty from which covers parts and labour told me they believe it's the lifters making noise but will do nothing about it. They said either they pull the engine leave me stranded without one and give me my money back which would leave me without an engine and out 2300$ for labour or wait till it catastrophically fails to do something. They know somethings wrong with it but are willing to do nothing about it.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 AM
ErikMissile
Rookie

It's amazing what sounds these and Ford 4.6's will make if the oil flow to the head isn't good enough. Mine used to have a slight upper end knock on start-up when Dodge was changing my oil for free up until about 40k. They used just regular oil. After that, I started to add the Justice Brothers oil treatment with metal conditioner along with regular oil and I no longer have any noise on start-up. The only sound to be heard on start-up is the fan. Try Valve Medic to clear up any passages.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:12 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

well just heard back from my mechanic and he believes there is a problem with some of the rod bearings. one may be spun.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Squints
Rookie

Well If you want a new one look at accurateengines.com. Thats where i bought mine from cost me $2600 total but thats because i didnt send them a core back. would have been $2200

Quick Reply: 4.7 engine noise