3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveled 2500 Cummins offset question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:32 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveled 2500 Cummins offset question

Been around this forum for a long time, with my bought as new 04 Ram 1500 that my son now calls his. But if everything goes as expected, I'm picking up a 2004 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 tomorrow and will be putting new wheels and tires on it. It is already leveled and appears to even maybe have a mild body lift on it, based on visible gaps between the body and bumpers, front and back. It currently has 35x12.50 Toyo MT's on it, on stock power wagon wheels with no rubbing at all. The 1500 we have has 35x12.50 mud grapplers on it with 17x9 -12mm wheels and with only a leveling kit, has no rubbing either. So, I'm trying to determine if I can safely run 20x10 wheels with -24mm offset and 35x12.50 MT tires without creating a rub and a need for more lift. Anybody out there running such a setup on a 3rd gen with little to no lift and a leveling kit?

Last edited by 04HemiGreg; 06-10-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You should be fine. I put a level on a '07 2500 for a guy a few years back, 18x10 wheels with 35x12.5s fit with no problem. Don't remember the offset but I'm sure it was a negative, even if it wasn't -24mm, as I remember there was plenty of room for more set back.

Congrats on joining the no plug club. Is it an '04 or '04.5???

Old 06-10-2015, 07:41 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Thanks Hammer. Now that you mention it, it's an 04.5. I know what the significance of that is on a Duramax but not sure what it means on the Cummins. Enlighten me please.

I have only seen the exterior of the truck and talked to the owner by phone extensively. I am meeting him tomorrow and that will be the first time I crank it, drive it, check for blow by, etc. So there is still a chance of a deal breaker. But if you have any tips to look for, let me know.

It has an almost new TRE stage 1 transmission, new injectors, and many of the wearable front end parts have been replaced as well as the u joints. New water pump and new belt. 164k miles. When I say new, I mean within the last year. Guy is selling to buy a Megacab cummins.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The 2004.5 is very desirable when compared to the 2003-2004 standard 5.9 ISB. The '04.5-07 is known as the 600 series engine in that HP was increased from 250 to 325 and Torque was increased from 460 to 600.

It's the class of the 24v 5.9s IMO.

Shouldn't find any "blow by" issuues. The way a diesel engine works is by crazy high internal cylinder pressure. Rings are loose and sloppy from the factory and one of the things gives a diesel it's sound. The pressure forces the rings to expand and seal, so,they can actually be quite worn and still seal perfectly. Cummins rings should last until the 350,000 mile ecommended overhaul.

The trucks Achilles heel is the front end, but you say he has replaced many of the components.

Major expenses would be the transmission - although the stock 48re is light years better than the 47re it replaced, is considered to have a life of between 125-150,000 miles. Again, he replaced it and with a very stout unit.
Next would be the injectors which are considered to have a serviceable life of about 150,000 miles. Again you say he replaced them - so I'd say you're golden.

Other than that, engine is spec'd for 350,000 miles between overhauls!

If you can get right on the price - I'd say jump on it.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-11-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:37 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Thanks Hammer. Good info. After hearing from you, I found some of that info via Google. I was supposed to go check it out and bring it home today but we rescheduled for tomorrow. Below is the craigslist ad. Would appreciate any feedback on it if you have any. Seller seems to be a stand up guy. My BS meter is fairly sensitive and mine tells me this is on the up and up.

Has a fugly toolbox in it but he offered to keep and knock some off the truck, so a win-win. Also going to give him back his rims and new tires when my new ones come in. Got another grand off the price for doing that and applying that to the new ones.

"2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT with the high output 5.9 Cummins. The truck is in great shape. Has automatic transmission, power locks, power tow mirrors, CD player, a/c and heat work great. It has 164,000 miles which is nothing on this 5.9 Cummins motor. Truck has brand new 35x12.50 Toyo MTS, leveling kit, has a stage 1 built transmission from TRE diesel with a triple disc torque converter with about 1 year unlimited mileage warranty still on it, new water pump, new serpentine belt, new starter, new electric heated tow mirrors, two new keyless entry remotes, new sway bar end links, new u joints in both drive shafts, new starter solenoid, new passenger side front wheel bearing and u joint and probably more I'm forgetting about. I have gone through this truck from top to bottom making sure it's in perfect condition. Mounts under bed for a 5th wheel. Extra large weather guard tool box, tinted windows, MBRP exhaust tip. New flux 1.6 +65 HP injectors along with a banks monster ram intake elbow, boost tube and autometer boost, trans temp and egt gauges. I have receipts for everything. I love the truck but a friend is selling a truck that I really want so mines got to go. It has over 8k tied up in just injectors and transmission."

Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

All looks good. The only component you may want to look at I didn't think of before would be radiator. Just as in the 1500s, Chrysler uses the cheesy part metal, part plastic that seems to last about 10 years. Although even if it's going to need a radiator soon it would in no way be a deal killer, just maybe something you could use to whittle down the price a smidge.

Out of curiosity, what was his asking price? I'm curious because when I bought my 2014 new last year, I originally was going to keep my Hemi and set out to find a 5.9 so I wouldn't have to deal with dpf, def and all the emissions crap. Every 5.9 I could find was either beat to death with 200,000+ miles or if I found a rare bird that wasn't worked crazy hard and was in real good condition with under 125,000 miles, they wanted 2/3 the price of a brand spanking new one for it...

Old 06-12-2015, 09:06 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I'll get with you on PM on the pricing Hammer. But same as you, most of what I found that was reasonable had been driven to death. Amazing to me how many miles people put on these things in the amount of time they do it, but it probably speaks well to the durability of the diesels. I only looked at Duramax and Cummins, with a preference on the Cummins, but less of them to find. Narrowed it down to a 2004.5 GMC Duramax with 134k and the 2004.5 Cummins with 164k. Didn't get a good vibe from the owner of the GMC and it was in good shape but nothing really done to it yet in the form of replacing wearable parts. Paying a slight bit more and going a slight bit further to get the Cummins but I think it's the better of the two in the long run.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I think you're making the right choice. 40% less parts in that 5.9 I6 vs. either of the V8 diesels. You don't see a million mile club in the Duramax or Powerstroke worlds. The Cummins 5.9 and 6.7 (and 8.3 for that matter) are rated Industrial grade for continuous heavy duty use where as the Duramax and Powerstroke are rated as limited duty, automotive grade engines.

If it was Furd who had the Cummins contract, I hate to say it, but I'd be driving a Furd truck.

Is this truck gonna be yours or are you replacing the Hemi you handed down to your boy???

Old 06-12-2015, 04:54 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Hammer, I think his first word after birth was "Cummins". It will be his to drive primarily and I may go back to driving the Hemi after stripping all the teenager back off of it. We'll see.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
Hammer, I think his first word after birth was "Cummins". It will be his to drive primarily and I may go back to driving the Hemi after stripping all the teenager back off of it. We'll see.
Good deal. I do expect to see pics. In the diesel section. It's sparse over there, needs some action...

Quick Reply: Leveled 2500 Cummins offset question