3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hello from Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Allen M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Georgia

I have 2003 dodge ram 1500. I'm looking for some answers about the ABS brake system. My brake pedal went to the floor recently with out warning,
I have replaced master cylinder, brake pads on front, new calipers on front and new pads on rear with new rotors on rear as well.
Anyone have thus problem, if so what was the fix?
I am afraid to take my grand kids anywhere in truck due to this problem
I forgot to mention, this problem happened before the brake work was done..... A mechanic said it was showing a code and he erased code before I could get the number... Said the ABS was running continuously. Brake pedal went to the floor several times before brake work was done......

Last edited by Allen M; 09-27-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: made corrections and added some more info
Old 09-23-2015, 03:59 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Moving to the correct section. Welcome to DF. The brake pedal still goes to the floor after replacing all those parts? Why did you throw all those parts at it because if it's still doing it, those parts were not the problem.

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-24-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

After replacing the master cylinder and calipers, were the brake hoses bled properly

Old 09-24-2015, 09:35 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was the system bled properly, including bleeding the ABS pump (which to do properly requires a dealer computer)?

Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Was the system bled properly, including bleeding the ABS pump (which to do properly requires a dealer computer)?

I wonder how many actually go pay the dealer to bleed ABS. Not disputing that it's the right thing to do, but to shell out big clams for a simple bleed? I just bleed the 4 lines, personally.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:16 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've bled all of mine when I did my master cylinder and swapped over to a hydro boost. Not paying anyone else to change out brake fluid.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:36 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I wonder how many actually go pay the dealer to bleed ABS. Not disputing that it's the right thing to do, but to shell out big clams for a simple bleed? I just bleed the 4 lines, personally.
Probably very few lol. I found it by rooting around learning my DRBIII and reading the FSM.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Allen M
Question Continued brake problem. ABS

Originally Posted by weedahoe
After replacing the master cylinder and calipers, were the brake hoses bled properly
I forgot to mention, The brake pedal went to the floor three times prior to brake work being done...... Brakes were and have been working fine..... Going 40 mph and the guy in front of me hits his brakes, I hit mine and nothing.... All the way to the floor and had to lock emergency brakes up and spun all the way around..... After the brake work was done the problem has happened three more times.... one time was, pedal going to floor within an hour of the first time

Old 09-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Allen M

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Moving to the correct section. Welcome to DF. The brake pedal still goes to the floor after replacing all those parts? Why did you throw all those parts at it because if it's still doing it, those parts were not the problem.
I had new tires put on truck and they showed me the brake wear on the rear and the caliper boots torn on the front........It was time for new pads on the rear and the front caliper outer seals were torn plus wet around the seals. The master cylinder was feeling like it was loosing pressure too....

Plus I had brake shudder in the front.... Right about the time I had received all my parts is when the problem began with pedal going to the floor.... 239.000 miles on truck and never replaced pads until now.....
If you know what the problem is, why don't you share the info with me.......

Forgot to mention... Two days before my parts were to arrive is when the brake pedal went to the floor......

Hope this answers your questions as to the repair

Old 09-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Either your brakes are not bled properly, or you're still losing fluid somewhere. Take all the wheels off and put it up on stands. Press the brake hard, use something jammed between the seat and brake to hold it down... then crawl around and look everywhere the lines go. Check the back of the calipers, etc. Also around the MC, to see if there are any leaks. If no leaks, bleed them again in proper sequence.

Quick Reply: Hello from Georgia