3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Fluid Change HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:02 AM
RULER7171
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change HELP...

I want to completely change my ATF, but had a couple of questions....

The Amsoil website says that the pan holds around 6.6 quarts for initial fill and 14.8 for a full fill. If I were to change the fluid using the method where I disconnect the cooler line and pour fluid in while car is running and pumping out, wouldn't I need the 14.8 quarts to completely flush and fill? Also, has anyone changed their ATF over to Amsoil? Any improvements noticed?

Old 10-10-2015, 11:14 AM
stenerson
Veteran

The initial fill is after you remove the pan which drains it's content. That's necessary to do if you want to replace the spinoff and flat filter.
I'm not sure what the exact total amount is. I did the cooler line trick a couple of years ago, most people suggest buying a couple extra quarts just to make sure you get all the old oil out.
I used Castrol and Mobil 1 ATF4.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:16 AM
RULER7171

Originally Posted by stenerson
The initial fill is after you remove the pan which drains it's content. That's necessary to do if you want to replace the spinoff and flat filter.
I'm not sure what the exact total amount is. I did the cooler line trick a couple of years ago, most people suggest buying a couple extra quarts just to make sure you get all the old oil out.
I used Castrol and Mobil 1 ATF4.

Do you think it is necessary for me to purchase 15 quarts? How many did it take when you did the cooler line trick?

Old 10-10-2015, 11:30 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by RULER7171
Do you think it is necessary for me to purchase 15 quarts? How many did it take when you did the cooler line trick?
I forget..I think it tops of at about 12 quarts and I used about 13 or 14 in the process. Personally I wouldn't change the filters as often as some people do. I think my manual suggested they can go 100K between changes. Just for kicks I tore open one of my spin-off filters that had 50K miles on it. It was spotless inside. I posted pictures a while back on this forum. Here's the link. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ilter-pic.html

Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

You have to get the fluid out of the torque converter. If you run so extra through it, you will get more of the old fluid out. You will never get it all. My 04 Hemi truck I ram 17 qts thru it.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I did mine a chance unless of years back. I used 17 qrts of Royal Purple.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:09 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy 17 - 20 qrts... use the tans to pump out 7.. drop pan and replace filters.. replace pan.. add 7 qrts... use trans to pump new oil from pan into the trans and push out the bad... add another 7 qrts... drive around to operating temp.. top off as needed while hot... use any extra to flush brake lines be sure to have lots of shop rags and i would recommend using oil resistant gloves as well

Old 11-20-2015, 02:26 PM
zjrick
Default I used 16.25 Quarts

I just did the cooler line DIY last weekend. I bought 19 quarts of the Mopar ATF+4 and used 16 of them + the 1/4 quart left over from when I did my tcase the prior weekend. I got nervous about running it too long and feared running it dry, but after I was done and refilled everything, I guess I ended up pretty good given my system holds a total of 17 quarts.

I ended up using the other 3 to flush/refill my power steering.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Fluid Change HELP...-inwiththe-new-.jpg   Transmission Fluid Change HELP...-outwiththeold.jpg  

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change HELP...