3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspension Expert Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 PM
beech2000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Expert Needed

Clunking and popping during braking initiated me to replace the lower control arm bushings. I had a local shop replace the bushings and I think they stretched the eyelets out so now forced to replace the whole arms. New arms installed and not sure why be there is a gap between the ears of all 4 LCA pivot points and clunking is worse now than before. I torqued the LCA pivot bolts to 200Foot lbs. Wrong LCA's? my truck is an 03 late production RWD Ram 2500 with Heavy Duty noted on back of tailgate. Its almost like they're the wrong arms for the size of the truck. What gives. Please take look at the video and feel free to comment or make suggestions accordingly.

Last edited by beech2000; 05-16-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:41 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

There should not be ANY side play in the control arms.Why did the tech widen the pivot points for the bushing?Is he a ASE certified chassic suspension.He should have known better.Shims to tighten up the sideplay,maybe.I would go too the dealer for R&R and have the bill paid from the tech that screwed it up.Get rid of the rubberbushing and go with polyurethane bushing,Energy Suspension.Concider a teardown of the front end,for inspection.If there are any questionable areas(welds-cracks in the mounting,R&R....

Old 04-29-2016, 06:46 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

agreed no play at all, seems as if they used the wrong bushings or wrong parts in the correct box installed on the arms, that play will really be annoying when towing that sea ray down hill & on the brakes. I always press out the old with new ones but that would be frustrating since its boating season

Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 PM
beech2000
Rookie

So strange. The replacement MAS arms do the same thing. There is no gap between the ear as originally thought. The center bushing in both the NAPA bushings as well as the MAS arms are moving. I have since tack welded the bushings in the original arms and sent the MAS arms back to Rock Auto. Pauling dodge had me drop it off and they recommended replacing the arms with factory ones. Ouch they cost more than this truck is worth. Not sure what to do but I do know the movement is inside the bushings and not the ears as had originally thouht . I guess this is it as I don't have the funds to spend $1200 in arms.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:31 PM
beech2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by cruzer55
There should not be ANY side play in the control arms.Why did the tech widen the pivot points for the bushing?Is he a ASE certified chassic suspension.He should have known better.Shims to tighten up the sideplay,maybe.I would go too the dealer for R&R and have the bill paid from the tech that screwed it up.Get rid of the rubberbushing and go with polyurethane bushing,Energy Suspension.Concider a teardown of the front end,for inspection.If there are any questionable areas(welds-cracks in the mounting,R&R....
The tech is me. I have been the one replacing the arms and no widening of pivot point by me or anyone. The bolts at spec torque tighten aganst both sides of all 4 bushings so no play. The movment is the rubber inside of the bushings thats moving. This problem is true for all of the aftermarket bushings across the board. Moog, MAS, Mevotech etc.. I haven't seen the OEM units as the are $585 a piece but feel sure they would fix it. So sad Dodge prices OEM parts out of reach on a 308,440 miles vehicle.

Last edited by beech2000; 05-06-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:54 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

what are you using to record the video and sound? Great diagnostic tool! I want one.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:41 AM
beech2000
Rookie

Go-pro camera and chassis ears

Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

beech 2000.Sorry for the insult.it was un-intended.Didn't know that DODGE was at fault for problems your dealing with.I don't have a suggestion other than good luck.At first I thought it was a hurry up job from a tech loaded up with customer waiting & 20 more before lunch if he's lucky.I know from experience.Again Sorry...

Old 05-07-2016, 04:47 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

I've done some customers,replaced all the rubber bushing with Energy Suspension bushing.Polyurethane they fit firm and cheaper than Mopars.Any poly bushing better than rubber,gives the ride a NEW feel.I'm getting older and CRS at time.Brain fart.........

Old 05-07-2016, 10:31 PM
beech2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by cruzer55
I've done some customers,replaced all the rubber bushing with Energy Suspension bushing.Polyurethane they fit firm and cheaper than Mopars.Any poly bushing better than rubber,gives the ride a NEW feel.I'm getting older and CRS at time.Brain fart.........
I haven't located any polys for RWD 2500's Do you have vendor in mind and respective parts numbers? Truck is 2003 RWD Ram 2500 manual trans

Quick Reply: Suspension Expert Needed