3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Simple driver's power window question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:44 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Simple driver's power window question

OK, the AUTO touch button to put the window down worked well for weeks since getting the truck. Then one morning with the key turned forward, but not starting the truck, I tried to put the window down. Oddly the window would go a few inches down and then try to go back up. Thus, I tried to get it down again. up/down/up/down went the struggle. Finally I get it all the way down without it going back up on it's own.

Well, from that point on, the AUTO down will not work. The computer only allows a person to hold the switch to bring it down manually.

Soooooo, how does one get the AUTO method back to normal? Or did I cause a gremlin of a problem.

I know that having the key forward and doing something with the gas pedal resets the TPS. Is it possible this can similarly happen for the power windows ???

I could slap myself for doing this.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:40 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Bad switch. YOU BROKE IT!

I haven't done it, but I read somewhere where a guy took his apart and cleaned it.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 07-15-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:58 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Ram has never done that, but the 300C does. Try this: Run the window all the way down and hold the switch in that position for a few seconds. You may hear the window "twitch". That restores the Chrysler - it may work on your Ram.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:45 PM
stev
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
My Ram has never done that, but the 300C does. Try this: Run the window all the way down and hold the switch in that position for a few seconds. You may hear the window "twitch". That restores the Chrysler - it may work on your Ram.
Thanks, i'll try it. Can't hurt any.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:48 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's broken

2003 Ram doesn't have any of that fancy stuff, not even a door module. There's no learning or anything. Just auto down.

Last edited by TNtech; 07-15-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:56 PM
stev
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TNtech
It's broken

2003 Ram doesn't have any of that fancy stuff, not even a door module. There's no learning or anything. Just auto down.
OK. The switch now works just like the others. You have to hold it for it to put down the window.

Hey, good to know you are in my neck of the woods here in Nashville BTW.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:15 PM
stev
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Mike, you are on to something here.

Well, I sat in the drivers seat, turned the key to accs and yes, I heard the "twitch" or a subtle tick. Then in a 1/2 second later a click somewhere up behind the gauges or somewhere on the driver side of the truck. It does this for both up and down. So, 7 to 9 seconds, the tick and then the click. This happens in both accs and to turn the key to start.

Now, another oddity. After doing that function and turning the key to off position and then to either accs or a neat start, the switch acts like it is broken on the first push. I get nothing. Then a tick happens. Then the switch works in the general way to hold it for up or down ... BUT ... Still no AUTO window down.

What else did you have to do in the Chrysler 300 for this window thing?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:18 PM
stev
Record Breaker

OK, on the lxforums this is what they have for vehicles up to 2005. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks Mike for pointing me in a good direction.
Auto Window Down/Up Reset Procedure.

I recently accidentally disconnected my battery in my car and noticed that my window Auto Up was no longer working. I stopped by the dealership and this is the procedure we went through to get it working again.

This is for Vehicles equipped with the Auto Window Switches (Marked "Auto" on the switch) for driver and passenger windows.

1. Turn the key to on.
2. Roll the window down all the way and hold for 10 seconds. (This resets the auto down)
3. Pull the switch up and hold for 10 seconds. (This resets the auto up)

They said that if you listen very closely, you could hear a click from the switch after 10 seconds showing that it has reset.

Tada! Your windows will now be able to roll up and down with a single press of the switch.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:22 PM
stev
Record Breaker

For the 2016 Ram ... However this is for auto up/down express.

Reset Auto-Up
Should the Auto Up feature stop working, the window
may need to be reset. To reset Auto Up:
1. Make sure the door is fully closed.
2. Pull the window switch up to close the window
completely and continue to hold the switch up for an
additional two seconds after the window is closed.
3. Push the window switch down firmly to the second
detent to open the window completely and continue
to hold the switch down for an additional two seconds
after the window is fully open.

If the others above don't work, I'll try this too.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:51 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stev
OK. The switch now works just like the others. You have to hold it for it to put down the window.

Hey, good to know you are in my neck of the woods here in Nashville BTW.

I'm at the Rivergate store. 23 years in the racket

I forget what year the trucks got door modules. I want to say it was 09 or 10. The LX cars got them way earlier.

Last edited by TNtech; 07-17-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Simple driver's power window question