Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replace power steering pump

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Exchevy Exchevy is offline
Professional
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location:
Posts: 102
Default Replace power steering pump

Any pointers on replacing the power steering pump on my 04 1500 with the hemi?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
__________________
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4,5.7 Hemi,Laramie H package,20"wheels,bucket seats, nav radio,DVD,U connect,128 liter tank,Viper remote start,HHP/BES 260 camshaft,Superchip flashpaq,Magnaflow exhaust, Airaid CAI,Poweraid TB spacer.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2005, 04:17 AM
bmxox bmxox is offline
Professional
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location:
Posts: 135
Default RE: Replace power steering pump

why are you replacing it? just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Exchevy Exchevy is offline
Professional
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location:
Posts: 102
Default RE: Replace power steering pump

Because it's hooped. very bad groaning noises.
__________________
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4,5.7 Hemi,Laramie H package,20"wheels,bucket seats, nav radio,DVD,U connect,128 liter tank,Viper remote start,HHP/BES 260 camshaft,Superchip flashpaq,Magnaflow exhaust, Airaid CAI,Poweraid TB spacer.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-25-2005, 08:08 PM
bmxox bmxox is offline
Professional
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location:
Posts: 135
Default RE: Replace power steering pump

have you tried any conditioners or anything? lucas power steering additive may help it a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-26-2005, 01:14 PM
mill500 mill500 is offline
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 310
Default RE: Replace power steering pump

This is from the DC service manual. Sorry, I couldn't get the illustrations to copy. Hope it helps.


REMOVAL - GAS
(1) Drain and siphon the power steering fluid from
the reservoir.
(2) Remove the serpentine belt.
CAUTION: Do not remove the fitting on the pump
that the high pressure hose screws into. The fitting
may come loose unless it is backed up using
another wrench. If the fitting does come loose, it
must be retightened before continuing. (57 - 67Nm,
40 - 50 lbft) If this fitting comes out of the pump
body, the internal spring and valve parts will fall out
of the pump and they cannot be reinstalled properly.
If this occurs the pump needs to be replaced
with a new pump.
(3) Disconnect the return hose. (Fig. 2)
(4) Disconnect the pressure hose. (Fig. 2)
(5) Access to remove the three bolts securing the
pump to the cylinder head can be gained thru the
pulley holes. (Fig. 2)


INSTALLATION - GAS
(1) Align the pump with the mounting holes in the
left cylinder head.
(2) Install 3 pump mounting bolts through the pulley
access holes. Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m (21 ft.
lbs.).
(3) Reconnect the pressure line and return hose to
the pump and reservoir. Tighten the pressure line to
37 N·m (27 ft. lbs.).
(4) Install the serpentine drive belt, (Refer to 7 -
COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS -
INSTALLATION).
(5) Fill the power steering pump, (Refer to 19 -
STEERING/PUMP - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
__________________
04 1500 Hemi Quad Cab
4x4 SLT
20" wheels, Westin tube steps, Mopar OE flaps, Mopar security system, Truxedo LoProfile tonneau
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-26-2005, 06:32 PM
osteodoc08 osteodoc08 is offline
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 2,193
Default RE: Replace power steering pump


Quote:
ORIGINAL: mill500

This is from the DC service manual. Sorry, I couldn't get the illustrations to copy. Hope it helps.


REMOVAL - GAS
(1) Drain and siphon the power steering fluid from
the reservoir.
(2) Remove the serpentine belt.
CAUTION: Do not remove the fitting on the pump
that the high pressure hose screws into. The fitting
may come loose unless it is backed up using
another wrench. If the fitting does come loose, it
must be retightened before continuing. (57 - 67Nm,
40 - 50 lbft) If this fitting comes out of the pump
body, the internal spring and valve parts will fall out
of the pump and they cannot be reinstalled properly.
If this occurs the pump needs to be replaced
with a new pump.
(3) Disconnect the return hose. (Fig. 2)
(4) Disconnect the pressure hose. (Fig. 2)
(5) Access to remove the three bolts securing the
pump to the cylinder head can be gained thru the
pulley holes. (Fig. 2)


INSTALLATION - GAS
(1) Align the pump with the mounting holes in the
left cylinder head.
(2) Install 3 pump mounting bolts through the pulley
access holes. Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m (21 ft.
lbs.).
(3) Reconnect the pressure line and return hose to
the pump and reservoir. Tighten the pressure line to
37 N·m (27 ft. lbs.).
(4) Install the serpentine drive belt, (Refer to 7 -
COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS -
INSTALLATION).
(5) Fill the power steering pump, (Refer to 19 -
STEERING/PUMP - STANDARD PROCEDURE).

Simple enough. Seems to be a screws out-screws in sort of deal. I just hope that it isn't a 15 minute job that takes an hour sort of thing Those of you that don't know what I mean, haven't been wrenching long enough
__________________
2004 Ram 1500 QC Hemi SLT

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-26-2005, 07:38 PM
bmxox bmxox is offline
Professional
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location:
Posts: 135
Default RE: Replace power steering pump


Quote:
ORIGINAL: osteodoc08
Simple enough. Seems to be a screws out-screws in sort of deal. I just hope that it isn't a 15 minute job that takes an hour sort of thing Those of you that don't know what I mean, haven't been wrenching long enough

Hated those, every done a power steering pump on a gm 2.2? 4 bolts and takes at least an hour the first time around, putting them back in is even more fun than taking them out.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2005, 01:27 AM
osteodoc08 osteodoc08 is offline
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 2,193
Default RE: Replace power steering pump


Quote:
ORIGINAL: bmxox


Quote:
ORIGINAL: osteodoc08
Simple enough. Seems to be a screws out-screws in sort of deal. I just hope that it isn't a 15 minute job that takes an hour sort of thing Those of you that don't know what I mean, haven't been wrenching long enough

Hated those, every done a power steering pump on a gm 2.2? 4 bolts and takes at least an hour the first time around, putting them back in is even more fun than taking them out.

Nope but replaced a head gasket and heads on a GM 2.2L That completely sucked ****.
__________________
2004 Ram 1500 QC Hemi SLT

Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Reply
 
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2