3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SUPERCHIPS & Long tubes = Blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:40 PM
BnB4EVER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUPERCHIPS & Long tubes = Blown motor

Just read this on RB.org

New postPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1 : 11 Post subject: Not happy with what I just heard from SUPERCHIPS!! Reply with quote
I just went to order some parts from you know who in Texas....Anyway he told me in the conversation that if I have longtubes headers and the chip that it might be leaning my truck oout the the point of burning valves and rings....So I call the hatefull ******** at Superchips, I ask them to find in the inst. were it says we cant run superchips with longtube headers......First i got hung up on by the manager...He kept saying it says it that you cant run any mods but a cold air intake and a catback system, Well it dont even say that!!!!!!!!!!!!1 So I called them back and asked them to show me in the manual where it says you cant run long headeres...Well they couldnt show because it dont say it.....And they dont give a f***........If i were in FL right now I would take this tuner and bash the f'ing manager upside the head with it..........They admitted that the 3815 is the only tuner that dont say it in the inst.........I now of a person just today that blew his motor up becuase of the leanness of the motor...............Superchips said thy would make a note of it.....I think its absolute bollshot that it dont say it in the inst........I know I'm not the only one running longtubes......This is a f*** joke..........Now i have to go spend 400.00 on injectors just so my truck wont burn up................Really ruined my day hearing this........Superchips needs to know by many that its not cool to put a product out and not be truthful about it......Its costs people alot of money.......................I'm done and still pissed........I've had this tuner in for months now and whopped on my truck a few times..................If i would have known this or it was in the inst.....I would have not installed it till I got it dyno and put bigger injectors........................F superchips right now.........I cant beleive them and there customer service......................................SAD Sad

Hope this post saves a few motors and alot of dollars for any members running a SC tuner with other engine mods

Old 03-16-2006, 06:04 PM
BnB4EVER
Default RE: SUPERCHIPS & Long tubes = Blown motor

" A positive note – there were discussions about the use of long tube headers and the Superchips programmer… folks were concerned that the Hemi might run too lean with the combination of the two. After three dyno runs with both of these products installed, the Hemi never once ran lean… in fact, it actually ran 0.5 richer than with the stock manifolds!"

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/headers.htm

seems the original post might have something eles causing the problem

Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

WOW I ALMOST $H!t A BRICK!!!!!

Old 03-16-2006, 11:36 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I have a hard time believe anything that guy wrote. Besides the poor grammer, his claims of being hung up on by a manager @ Superchips corporate is highly unlikely. In the Superchips manual, they are very explicit about what the product does, and claiming no responsibility for adverse affects of the chip. I've heard nightmare stories about chips on diesels, but they are adding a TON more power than the 3815.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:49 PM
ShortBedHemi
Rookie

Is it safe for me to run a superchip flashpaq with a cold air intake and a flowmaster 40? I dont want to hurt my truck any.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:58 AM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

I have been running my setup for a while now and, so far, no problems. Just a few weeks ago I checked for DTC's and nothing came up. Question is, would burning valves and elevated EGT's throw a DTC? I'm guessing not.....any takers?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:47 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR

The Superchips tunes are for STOCK engines. They always say it and it's printed. And we know that headers HAVE leaned some of us out. Not many, but a handful. Imagine throwing another 6 degree's part throttle timing, 4 degrees WOT timing and 1.5 points leaner a/f against that. You're gonna have a problem. What's the new news here?

Old 03-17-2006, 12:32 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hemifever

The Superchips tunes are for STOCK engines. They always say it and it's printed. And we know that headers HAVE leaned some of us out. Not many, but a handful. Imagine throwing another 6 degree's part throttle timing, 4 degrees WOT timing and 1.5 points leaner a/f against that. You're gonna have a problem. What's the new news here?
You know, I just dont get it. People spend all there money on GO FAST parts but neglect the little mods that hemp them protect there investment. This is one reason why a Wide Band A/F ratio guage is so important. When you start getting seriouse into modding you should invest in a good wide band A/F ratio guage to monitor your A/F ratios... 13:1 is near perfect and 15:1+ is getting lean.... with this simple information you can see what your engine is doing at ALL times and you will PREVENT any damage that would happen by going too lean.

Not to mention it would tell you if there was MORE power to be had... you can feel the difference between 13:1 (POWER) and 14.5+ (LESS POWER)....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 03-17-2006, 03:57 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

Exactly AirRam. Monitoring is always neglected. I look like I should be navigating a 747 plane when I'm in a "monitoring" mode. EGT gauge, Boost gauge, Wideband a/f, laptop, and hand scanner that monitors fuel trims, timing, knock retard modes, etc.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:18 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

I called Superchips this morning and spoke with a guy in their technical dept. He said an intake and exhaust with Flashpaq 3815 is fine. However, using long tube headers can AND may cause the truck to run too lean.

So the guy who said he wasn't aware of this scenario, was either lying or ignorant. He could have called them, spent 2 minutes on the phone, and avoided the situation he is in. Not too difficult.

Quick Reply: SUPERCHIPS & Long tubes = Blown motor