3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Tire size calculator

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 03:22 AM
adamsredlines
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire size calculator

Hey, does anybody have the link to that tire sizing convertor? I cant find it anywhere....

Old 10-12-2004, 03:31 AM
AkDanoM
Rookie
Default RE: Tire size calculator

are you wondering about actuall rubber size or are you questioning the rim size...

either way.. http://www.tirerack.com/ this site is very helpfull...

got most of my information from them when i went to buy my new tires for my dodge... Went with 265/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T revo's ... AWSOME TIRE.... mud snow ice you name it, it handles it, the best thing about them they are quiet on the highway...

then i got the Firestone Destination's M/T 31 x 10.5 on 15's on my wifes ford ranger..... very nice ride.. quiet as well

Old 10-12-2004, 09:47 AM
drtelco
Professional

What price did you get the Bridgestones for?

Old 10-12-2004, 01:46 PM
adamsredlines
Professional

Someone posted something that converted standard sizing to flotation sizing so you would know how wide and tall your tires were...

If you typed in 255/70/15 it would punch out 31x10.50x15, thats the thing I'm looking for.

On a side note, I have found tirerack very helpful, my next set of tires will be Bridgstone Dueler HP's....

Old 10-18-2006, 07:33 AM
vansterdam
Old 10-18-2006, 01:31 PM
motorhead426
All Star

These are the 2 sites I use to convert tire sizes. The second doesn't seem to work right now, but I'll but it up, and maybe it will work later.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

Old 10-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Now I have a question ,My newer tirer size says that my speedometer is running 2.1 miles per hour slower. How does this effect my gas mileage figuring. That 17 rpm less per mile. How does that change my miles per gallon and my odometer readings.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 AM
motorhead426
All Star

The thing that I personally would do if I wasn't going to change it with a programmer, would be drive a few trips to places I knew the distance (Like 100+ miles) and calculate the mileage that way. Otherwise I don't know what the formula would be for calculating the exact mileage.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
RUNOVRYOU
Rookie

You've got me thinking about this now... for a formula to figure out your actual miles per gallon if your speedo is off. The best I can come up with on the spot is that there is no formula. I could be totally wrong, and if there is an actual solution, I'd like to see it (just because). Just jotting a few things down, it seems that the formula is going to depend on your average speed. For example, if you're traveling with a reading of 60mph on the speedo, you are telling me that you're actually travelling at a speed of 62.1mph. If you were to drive for one hour exactly at this speed, you're going to go a distance of 1.035 times farther that what your odometer actually says. However, if you're speedo said 105mph and you were actually doing 107.1mph, the multiplier would be 1.02 times farther. So if there's a way you can travel for say an hour with the cruise control on and not varying speed, all the way from fill up to fill up, so you can get the exact gallons of fuel you've gone through, then divide: [(speedo# + 2.1) / speedo# * number of miles logged on odometer] / gallons that would theoretically give you your correct miles per gallon. I would think the turnpike during lite traffic would be the perfect place to figure this. Fill up at the first service center, and somewhere at say an hour away, start to look for another and fill up again to find how many gallons you've gone though.

probably not too helpful, but I'm not sure there's an exact way to do this.

***edit: thought about this a little bit more. and that 2.1 mph is only going to be true at a certain speed. so what i said earlier about 60=62.1 and 105=107.1 is not correct. this needs to be a ratio or a percentage. i think it could be calculated easier if you use revolutions. if i figured this out correctly, as your tire size increases by 1 inch, the circumference of the tire increases by .03% meaning your going that much farther. so no matter what you're odometer says, add .03% to it and divide by the amount of fuel. (remember that .03% is per inch that the tire size increases, so if you increase two inches, you'd use .06% to compensate for the two inches in increased diameter.

Quick Reply: Tire size calculator