3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shudder/shake.. not sure why..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM
milkman82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder/shake.. not sure why..?

Hoping you guys can help me. Now I will admit I already made a similar post in ********.com yesterday. Only one guy has been able to try and help me. I am in hopes someone else has had or seen the problem I am going to describe

I just noticed a few odd things from my 02 1500 Quadcab truck lately. Hoping it is just because I have never owned a Dodge Ram before and getting used to the truck I love.

First off, lately when I back up. If I have the wheel cocked hard right or hard left and then slowly reverse. Or if stopped by a red light on a small hill and then go. The truck will start to give a very slight shudder (almost reminds you engine shake when a cylinder is dead). This is not anything that gives a monster shake, yet more of a slight struggle vibration. In my head I think right away that friction plates are slipping or the TC is struggling. Yet the hope side of me wants to think this is normal do to the 3.55 Limited Spin Diff.? There is no hesitation, just that vibration. Now if I was to step on the gas, I would never notice the issue and plenty of power there.

Also, if I am backing up and say I go down a steep driveway apron I get a loud whine or squeal that comes from the truck. Enough that, when the windows were down. When my friend heard it, he looked over at me and said "what was that?" Anyone else had this issue? Is it something mechanical or more body/bushing/suspension related?

Now overall the truck drives great, has very good acceleration, great idle smoothness. So I don't have any other major problems I know of yet. Some reason I fear daily when I drive about the sludge issue or the head overheat issue. I am always looking at my oil and temperature gauges.

Thanks alot guys! Like I said I love the truck and don't want to think it could be some bigger problem. Yet, if these things are, then I would like to know where I need to start looking and what to do!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
guitman32
Rookie

No idea about the hesitation, but my truck kinda shudders from the tires when at full lock, creeping around parking lots and such. Only at full lock so I chalk it up to steering angle and my tires/worn bushings/alignment. Doesnt sound like your issue at all.

You should be able to tell if the squeal/whine is coming from the engine or the rear end somewhere, no?

Other than that there is no way to tell from the info you provided exactly what it is. Describe the sound more, where it sounds like its coming from, how the sound starts in relation to the truck angle and throttle position, how the sound goes away in relation to the same things...how long does the sound last, etc.

Have you ever done a diff service? Are any components in your rear axle/suspension assembly rusted or worn?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 AM
loflyer2
Professional

Could the squeal be coming from your serpentine belt? If so, check the tensioner to see if it is at a limit. Maxed at either side could mean that either that the tensioner is broken or that the belt has stretched too far. The hesitation you mention seems to happen sometimes with these trucks. Make sure that your tranny fluid is full. Checking the diff is a good suggestion.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM
milkman82
Amateur

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

However, I noticed everyone missed the (no) next to the hesitation. So just to clear it up. There is NO hesitation with the engine. lol

Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 AM
milkman82
Amateur

I could have done better at describing the noise issue.

This is not the kinda squeal that sounds like a serpentine belt when it's slipping or worn.

This is a noise that only happens when say the body of the truck is articulated. It has to be coming more from the front of the truck. Oddly, so far, it only does it when backing out of a steep driveway apron. I am thinking a front suspension issue? I have to back out of a driveway pretty slow if I don't want to hear the noise.

I was hoping someone else has had a similar issue and knows what this sound could be! LOL it daunting when you think about how many parts are in the front and tracking down the culprit!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
guitman32
Rookie

My front end is squeaking like crazy at the moment...was able to use a bottle of white lithitum grease to isolate the passenger lower ball joint (can be replaced on its own) and upper ball joint (need to replace the whole upper control arm, only ~$65 for the moog piece).

It still squeaks a bit even after lubing the ball joints, and Im pretty sure its the shock, but again at $35-45 its no big deal.

Do you have a factory service manual? It tends to help with illustrations so you dont need to be under your car to understand whats going on...

Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
milkman82
Amateur

Originally Posted by guitman32
My front end is squeaking like crazy at the moment...was able to use a bottle of white lithitum grease to isolate the passenger lower ball joint (can be replaced on its own) and upper ball joint (need to replace the whole upper control arm, only ~$65 for the moog piece).

It still squeaks a bit even after lubing the ball joints, and Im pretty sure its the shock, but again at $35-45 its no big deal.

Do you have a factory service manual? It tends to help with illustrations so you dont need to be under your car to understand whats going on...
I do have the manual. However I don't know if that will pinpoint my issue. Short of grabbing on to the undercarriage like a spider monkey and having someone reverse out of a steep slope.... However, if it could be a shock. Ill replace all four in a heartbeat! LOL

I mean us Dodge truck owners have a reputation to uphold! I cant have friends jumping in and hearing such a noise!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 PM
guitman32
Rookie

There are procedures outlined in the manual to test parts, usually using a pry bar and leverage.

Unless you want to take it to someone you have to start somewhere

Quick Reply: Shudder/shake.. not sure why..?