4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Stalled While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck Stalled While Driving

Ok so I'm having a weird issue with my truck. I tried to do a search but seemed like a bunch of unrelated threads came up. It's already at the dealership, I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue and what the result was...

Two days ago I was heading to the dump to get rid of some trash. Before I even could get out of my neighborhood, the truck died. Dash lights all turned off, radio turned off and I had to actually turn the key and restart it. I thought it was weird but I thought I just bumped the key or something. I didn't think anything of it. Well today it happened again. I was leaving the gym and I started the truck and it only ran for a minute and then the lights all flashed off and on and then it died and I couldn't restart it. Nothing would come on and I couldn't get the key out. It seemed like an electrical issue so I popped the hood and beat on the electrical box with the TIPM and fuses and everything and then I fired it right up. I took off and headed to the dealership to drop it off and about 1.5 miles later, it died again. This time it only cut out for a few seconds and I could fire back up before I even stopped coasting. After that it made it all the way to the dealership which was luckily only a few more miles. When I dropped it off the service guy said it sounded like a battery or alternator issue, but if that was the case I would think it would cut out for good and wouldn't restart without a jump. I'm leaning towards the TIPM, but just curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Mechaniczman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My durango would do the exact same thing. I replaced the IAC valve on the throttle body and ran a can of seafoam and its been good ever since.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

IAC valve won't prevent vehicle from turniing over like a dead battery.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 AM
oldjeep
Champion

SOunds like one of the connectors on the bottom side of the tipm isn't locked down

Old 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

Yeah I'm guessing it has something to do with the TIPM. Hopefully I'll find out soon. Just waiting on them to call me and let me know.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 AM
RAMULAK
Captain

Probably the key FOB.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:23 PM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

Ok well they ended up having it for 3 days and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I've had it for a little over a week now and it hasn't done it again. BUT, now I am noticing the headlights, dash lights and the interior lights are kind of flickering when I'm driving. I don't know what the hell is going on, but something isn't right. This sucks.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

had a guy in a 3rd gen do the same where he was driving and it died. he found a bad PDC as his iesue

Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 PM
brettj2408
Captain

Wireless control module

Old 09-25-2011, 01:19 PM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

Well they replaced the wireless control module when they had it the first time. It hasn't died on me anymore, but the headlights are still flickering. They ordered a new PCM, so hopefully that does something. I'll keep yall updated as I find out more.

Quick Reply: Truck Stalled While Driving