4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Emissions System on Current Ram Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM
sawfish
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions System on Current Ram Trucks

Can anyone tell me where the emissions system is located on the current production Ram trucks? I am in the market for a new truck and would love to have a Ram Outdoorsman. Unfortunately, I have lately encountered some problems with my 4 x 4 2005 Dakota due to many of the emissions components being located under the truck! If certain components become wet or dirty, this starts a chain reaction of emissions codes. I cannot for the life of me fathom why Dodge would locate these items under a 4 x 4, then tell the owners not to get them wet or dirty! Are the legendary Dodge 4 x 4 trucks now relegated to boulevard cruiser status. I cannot get a straight answer from the dealership(s), and this is a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They have to run the EVAP system to and from the gas tank. Where else are they gonna put it besides under the truck?

Getting it wet is total BS. Just don't run the water up to the top of the doors or you will mess up something. If you want to go gangsta off road mudd boggin', then you'll need too do some retrofitting. Locate the EVAP canister vent up higher and also your engine air intake, differential vents and transmission vents.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what the signals are but there is a connector (male to female) right behind the driver side front tire. I see it when I crawl under to let the oil out of the pan. Seems like a really dumb place to put a connector. It's just behind the mud flap.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 02-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:55 PM
sawfish
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
They have to run the EVAP system to and from the gas tank. Where else are they gonna put it besides under the truck?

Getting it wet is total BS. Just don't run the water up to the top of the doors or you will mess up something. If you want to go gangsta off road mudd boggin', then you'll need too do some retrofitting. Locate the EVAP canister vent up higher and also your engine air intake, differential vents and transmission vents.
I am not impressed with your unprofessional response. I am almost 70 years old and am not a "gangsta" off roader. This is the eighth four wheel drive vehicle that I have owned, and I use them primarily for hunting and fishing. We have two pieces of lake property in Louisiana where mud and water are pretty much a way of life. As to where else could they put it, it could be put anywhere using rubber hose. Having to re-engineer a four wheel drive vehicle to make it live up to its capabilities is in a word "ridiculous". Thank you for assisting me in choosing my next four wheel drive vehicle.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:04 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sawfish
I am not impressed with your unprofessional response. I am almost 70 years old and am not a "gangsta" off roader. This is the eighth four wheel drive vehicle that I have owned, and I use them primarily for hunting and fishing. We have two pieces of lake property in Louisiana where mud and water are pretty much a way of life. As to where else could they put it, it could be put anywhere using rubber hose. Having to re-engineer a four wheel drive vehicle to make it live up to its capabilities is in a word "ridiculous". Thank you for assisting me in choosing my next four wheel drive vehicle.

Sorry, but you didn't include a profile pic and your truck history. I should have assumed all of what you said from a forum post.

Should they route hoses containing FUEL vapors inside the car? Through the doors? Up under the headliner? Where should they put it? That EVAP system doesn't prevent you from doing anything you want to do. Every manufacturer has to put one on it. The EVAP lines are hard plastic with compression joint connections and locks. A leak in one of them is RARE. They are sealed off. The EVAP filter is located above anywhere water would normally get up to. If it gets up that high, it's going in your engine air also.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-17-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 PM
PostalTwo
Professional

Originally Posted by sawfish
absolutely every manufacture has emissions components under the car as tntech stated where would u like them to put them? they have to be there.and all cars have them there. i think its a little unfair to assume that just because u have had problems with ur 10 yr old dakota that your new ram is going to have the same problems. ive had a ram since 2012 and i cant imagine owning anything else its in my opinion the best truck for the money out there and it exceeds my expectaions i think ur asking a little too much in this pollution mindfull world

Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
jimf5
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 1500 4x4 and as Pedro dog stated I to am concerned about the rather large connector behind the left front tire. It does not seem to be that waterproof.
As I live in the desert about 45 mi. west of Las Vegas and we do have flash floods and standing water once or twice a year.

jimf5

Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM
WESIDE
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats this so called connector for?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 PM
jimf5
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HI all:
I do not know what the sensor is for, just that it seems to be in a place that is not to well protected from the elements.

jimf5

Old 02-18-2014, 06:38 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The connector most likely has a rubber gasket within the connector. Do you really think that Chrysler would spend millions to engineer a vehicle that would lack such a feature? Especially if the connector is in a location that could make it exposed to water.

And to having issues with your truck not being able to drive through a river, that's not what they're designed to do. May I suggest an amphibious vehicle?

Quick Reply: Emissions System on Current Ram Trucks