4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

uconnect

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM
GutsGloryRam1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uconnect

Hello, all I am new to the boards. I tried doing a search on both here and Google and could not find much. I have a 2010 RAM 1500 with the RES radio. I know it does not have the UCONNECT phone feature as it says it when i hit the button. I have found the kit for about 230 - 250 and have installed many stereos in the past. I just had a couple questions does anyone have any info on the install for it. Also once its installed and the dealer has done the programming for it will it also play Pandora for example via the Bluetooth or is it just the phone and no audio streaming.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GutsGloryRam1500
Hello, all I am new to the boards. I tried doing a search on both here and Google and could not find much. I have a 2010 RAM 1500 with the RES radio. I know it does not have the UCONNECT phone feature as it says it when i hit the button. I have found the kit for about 230 - 250 and have installed many stereos in the past. I just had a couple questions does anyone have any info on the install for it. Also once its installed and the dealer has done the programming for it will it also play Pandora for example via the Bluetooth or is it just the phone and no audio streaming.
There are some good hands-free units available for a lot less than $230. If I didn't have uconnect in my truck, I'd get an aftermarket unit - the OEM has irritating issues. The aftermarket ones will fit to your visor and not require any wiring.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfons
- the OEM has irritating issues.

You can say that again...

Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most BT devices have issues and are not fully compatible with all phones. This is because of the BT specs being loosely written. This lets the spec to be interpreted differently by the each person interpreting it.
Not to mention that some issues are also User related issues, some are phone issues and some may be Uconnect (as well as aftermarket and other vehicle mfg's) issues.
There are also 3 different suppliers for the Uconnect system because of the several different radios that are offered by Chrysler. It may be a bit surprising but not all 3 function equally. Each supplier has their own SW & HW developers. One system does seem to work better than the others though.

Last edited by xsdbs; 04-09-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

The main issue I'm finding is that my uconnect configuration is deafer than I am, even though my ears sat next to very noisy airplane propellers for several thousand hours. When I want to "speak" to the uconnect, I need to SHOUT distinctly for the commands to be interpreted correctly, but when I am connected and speaking to another person, I can speak in my normal tones and am clearly heard at the receiving end.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:46 AM
xsdbs
Captain

It looks like you have a 2005 vehicle, if this is true then you have the old supplier Uconnect system. They were designed by Johnson Controls and their contract ended in 2008. There are now 3 different suppliers of the Uconnect system due to the number of different radio's that Chrysler offers which are also built buy different mfg's. These systems are designed better than the older JCI units.

The main issue I'm finding is that my uconnect configuration is deafer than I am, even though my ears sat next to very noisy airplane propellers for several thousand hours. When I want to "speak" to the uconnect, I need to SHOUT distinctly for the commands to be interpreted correctly, but when I am connected and speaking to another person, I can speak in my normal tones and am clearly heard at the receiving end.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

How would you figure out which uconnect was installed?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 PM
GutsGloryRam1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the UConnect will do streaming audio or is it phone only this will decide for me if i want to spend the money on this or an aftermarket radio.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...lectronics-16/

full of Uconnect threads/issue's

Also, check the stickies for uconnect thrread stuff

Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 AM
xsdbs
Captain

one way would be to locate the module and see the PN of it. The other way is by the year of the vehicle, pre 2008 is JCI, post 2008 will be one of the 3 suppliers that currently build for Chrysler. Harman builds for the 730N, Peiker builds for the RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB, Magnetti builds for the 4.3 & 8.4.

How would you figure out which uconnect was installed?

Quick Reply: uconnect