4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust size match up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust size match up.

I am having a Cherry Bomb extreme 2.5 in and 2.24 out put on my truck tomorrow. The muffler came off of my 98. The new rams have 3" to the muffler and after the muffler it's 2.5 I think. He shouldn't have any problem with it should he?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:20 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are taking a used huge POS muffler that is the wrong size and putting it on your new truck? Sounds like a winning plan. Choking the exhaust off with a too small muffler isn't a good idea, and the MDS is going to drive you insane through that rattle trap muffler.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by oldjeep
So you are taking a used huge POS muffler that is the wrong size and putting it on your new truck? Sounds like a winning plan.
LOL!

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Choking the exhaust off with a too small muffler isn't a good idea, and the MDS is going to drive you insane through that rattle trap muffler.
Agreed. Why are you putting a used (and poor quality) muffler that is not even the correct size on a brand new truck? Even if you do want to stick with a Cherry Bomb they can be had for less then $40 (including shipping) BRAND NEW in the correct size.

And having used a free flow muffler on an MDS equipped truck (a higher quality one) the MDS will be beyond annoying.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

It's all about noise.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:19 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by NoMoreGMsForMe
It's all about noise.
Might as well just straight pipe it, at least it would eliminate the rattle from the cherry bomb

Old 10-01-2014, 11:26 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by NoMoreGMsForMe
It's all about noise.
When i had my 01.5' Cummins Ram i had dual 6" stacks, no mufflers at all. Loved it. When i had my 06' Hemi with a free flow muffler and exhaust out the side (Like NASCAR) and MDS was not on i loved it.

When i bought my 11' Hemi Ram i loved how quiet it was. The stock exhaust has a nice rumble when you get on it but otherwise it's a beautiful quiet ride. I'm not trying to impress people on the street. The truck is for me. And it's an every day driver.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran

Originally Posted by NV290
When i had my 01.5' Cummins Ram i had dual 6" stacks, no mufflers at all. Loved it. When i had my 06' Hemi with a free flow muffler and exhaust out the side (Like NASCAR) and MDS was not on i loved it.

When i bought my 11' Hemi Ram i loved how quiet it was. The stock exhaust has a nice rumble when you get on it but otherwise it's a beautiful quiet ride. I'm not trying to impress people on the street. The truck is for me. And it's an every day driver.
Honestly, the muffler is on and it sounds amazing and you can't even tell when the MDS kicks in. Also, it is even quicker than it was when the stock muffler was on. So, your point is invalid.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran

Originally Posted by NV290

Not your point. Those other guys'. Lol

Old 10-02-2014, 08:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Honestly, the muffler is on and it sounds amazing and you can't even tell when the MDS kicks in. Also, it is even quicker than it was when the stock muffler was on. So, your point is invalid.

You tell 'em... I had an Extreme on my '04 and it sounded WAY better than the rusted out, POS Flowmaster 50 I replaced it with. The FM droned like crazy right at highway cruising speed (and I was pre-MDS trucks), and the CB Extreme never droned at any speed. I always got positive comments from everyone on how my truck sounded. Although LT headers, CAI and a completely free Y pipe had something to do with it as well.

FM lasted three years and the top was swiss cheese. CB was on for a lot longer until I sold the truck last month and aside from some surface rust was still intact.

I will admit though, I would have thought a simple, single wing plate muffler would be hideous sounding with MDS. Glad to hear from you I would have been wrong...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-02-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by 98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Also, it is even quicker than it was when the stock muffler was on. So, your point is invalid.
It may seem quicker, but in reality it's not. Simply adding a free flow muffler to an otherwise stock truck will not give any noticeable gains in power. This is a proven fact. The stock muffler is not the most restrictive part of a factory exhaust anyhow. You still have a Y pipe and manifolds impeding flow. And with the stock Throttle body and post TB intake system the restrictions are still there. And to add you installed an undersized muffler and in turn introduced another restriction which likely negates the effects of a free flow over stock muffler as well.

Even in the drag racing world you would be amazed at how much you need to do just to shave off a tenth of a second in 1/4 mile times. In the world of performance parts for trucks like ours most of the easiest mods make no real gains. The factory has made these trucks so efficient that you need to do either use a programmer or do major mods (Throttle bodies, headers, head porting, etc) to really make any noticeable gains.

Minor HP increases are typically only noticeable on a Chassis Dyno or through 1/4 mile times. It also comes down to the gain over what the stock HP is. As an example, if your lawnmower is 5 HP and you add 2.5 more HP the difference will be very noticeable as you added 50% more HP. But when you take a truck that already puts out almost 400 HP and add a muffler that if sized correctly MIGHT add 4-6 HP alone (and even that number is debatable) then you are talking an increase of maybe 4%. You would never feel that. Want another simple example? That's like adding 4" in height to a 400' tall building. You would never notice. But add 4" to a person who is 6' tall and you notice right away. Because it's a more substantial gain from the starting point.

Psychologically it feels faster because it's louder. The same way people assume their car is magically quicker when they install a high flow air filter when in reality their is no increase. It simply sounds more powerful.

Quick Reply: Exhaust size match up.