4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 2500 Tow Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:26 PM
JohnVI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 2500 Tow Mirror Question

Hey guys

For the Signal/Tow mirrors on the 2500's. I tend to keep my folded down as up it does add a good bit of length to the width of that truck. My question is the black shows scratches really badly, I was thinking of getting chrome mirror caps, but my question is what happens when you want to fold your mirror up? So If i get a mirror cover for the folded up position, am i stuck with using the mirror in that position only.

There has got to be a easier way, was thinking having them painted, but not sure how much time/money that would cost, if they have to remove the assembly from the truck, etc..

thoughts?

thanks.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:25 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Originally Posted by JohnVI
Hey guys

For the Signal/Tow mirrors on the 2500's. I tend to keep my folded down as up it does add a good bit of length to the width of that truck. My question is the black shows scratches really badly, I was thinking of getting chrome mirror caps, but my question is what happens when you want to fold your mirror up? So If i get a mirror cover for the folded up position, am i stuck with using the mirror in that position only.

There has got to be a easier way, was thinking having them painted, but not sure how much time/money that would cost, if they have to remove the assembly from the truck, etc..

thoughts?

thanks.
I had a local gentlemen who has done many custom and accessory parts, color match just the fold-up section, and left the mirror extension support as is. I've seen many with the entire mirror and support color matched too, which doesn't look too bad either. I just figured it would likely get chipped from road debris painting that section.

Attached Thumbnails Ram 2500 Tow Mirror Question-20150718_145157.jpg   Ram 2500 Tow Mirror Question-20150718_145149.jpg  
Old 10-25-2015, 10:49 PM
JohnVI
Veteran

That looks nice and clean. Do you know if they had to remove the assembly. or did it on the truck. Im trying to see what it might cost..

Old 10-26-2015, 08:08 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks nice and clean. Do you know if they had to remove the assembly. or did it on the truck. Im trying to see what it might cost..
Seems like it would be cheaper to just swap on the chrome version of the mirrors.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

The truck came with the white sport mirrors, so I had the tow mirrors painted, and installed them once completed. Yes, you would definitely need to remove the mirrors. Having an extra set certainly makes the task easier.

As oldjeep mentioned, much easier with the covers, and cheaper. If you have a quality shop around, you could have them color match the chrome covers (I've done that with other chrome emblems, including my SRT6), if chrome isn't what you're looking for.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:58 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

Forgot to say thanks..One last question on this
For the covers. Can you have one cover for the tow position and use it to flip down into the regular position. That's my issue, I want a cover but not sure if the cover width will let me flip the mirror from tow to normal position... Hopefully this makes sense and someone else is having this dilemma...Or I just need to pick a position....

Want to leave them in tow, but damn the mirrors stick out far

Old 11-13-2015, 09:51 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea, mine are not covers mine are the factory 2010+ Chrome mirrors.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:00 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

http://www.realtruck.com/putco-chrom...FYQ8aQodLI0Ktg

This link shows that Putco makes provisions for the chrome covers to fold down properly. The link shows a 3rd generation. I'm sure other aftermarket venders likely make the same adjustments for fitment so the mirrors could be utilized either way.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM
StillBoomerang

+1 for Putco. I believe you can search it up on their site, and it'll show you what it looks like as well.

Quick Reply: Ram 2500 Tow Mirror Question