4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heated seat doesn't kick on with auto start, works manually

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 05:27 PM
acejones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated seat doesn't kick on with auto start, works manually

2009 1500 Laramie

When I auto start the truck, the seat heater does not always kick on (about 95%) of the time it does not work. However, the steering while always works. When the seat heater does not work, I cannot turn it on manually. The button light turns on but does not stay on. The only way to get it to work is to turn the engine back off and start it manually.

I'm aware of the outside temperature needing to be under 40F, this does not apply as it has routinely been in the 30F's when I have been attempting to auto start the engine (again, the heated steering wheel works just fine with auto start).

Thoughts? I'd hate to take it in to the dealer.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:07 PM
krs7272
Rookie

My 2014 is same way. Wheel heats up. Seat light is illuminated but not warm. If I turn off seat warmer and back on them heats up.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 PM
krs7272
Rookie

My neighbor works out in Auburn Hills I'll see if he can look into if it's designed that way?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 PM
acejones

Originally Posted by krs7272
My 2014 is same way. Wheel heats up. Seat light is illuminated but not warm. If I turn off seat warmer and back on them heats up.
That's not what mine does. If I auto start the engine, 95% of the time the seat warmer will not work, though the steering wheel will. If this happens, I cannot get the seat warmer to come on manually, even after turning the ignition on with the key; the light comes on and goes off almost immediately and the seat never warms up. The heated steering wheel works no matter what. However, if I start the engine with the key, the seat heater works without issue.

It doesn't have anything to do with outside temperature. This morning was in the 20s. I auto started the engine and let it sit 5-10 minutes. Came out, the steering wheel heater was on, the seat warmer was not. I hit the button to turn it on, but it would not come on. I drove mile up the road to get gas. When I was done, I manually started the engine and the seat heater worked when I turned it on.

Very rarely, the seat heater will come on with the steering wheel heater when it's under 40F.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sure you've already checked this, but just in case, have you confirmed that the heated seat is selected to turn on under the "Remote Start Comfort Systems" section of your EVIC?

Old 02-10-2016, 10:14 AM
acejones

The heated seats work, except when I auto start the engine (well, they almost never work). And sometimes (rarely) they don't work when I start the engine with the key, which happened this morning. The light on the heated seat button comes on and then goes off. If I turn off the engine and turn it back on, the heated seat button works fine.

Again, when the button doesn't work, the button lights up and goes off. If it happens, the only way to get the button to stay lit and have the seat heaters work is to turn off the engine completely and turn the truck back on.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

The setting that I'm referring to in my question above wouldn't affect the function of the heated seats, themselves, just if they will turn on when the remote start is used in cold weather. Have you looked into that setting in your EVIC?

Old 02-10-2016, 11:46 AM
acejones

I with through the EVIC and Remote Start Comfort Systems was checked (it's an all or nothing setting). I unchecked and rechecked just to make sure. Since is 28F, I went ahead and auto started the engine, the seat heater came on. It'll probably be just as cold over the next few days, so I'll keep testing it.

This setting would also control the cooled seats setting, correct? If so, that worked just fine in the summer.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM
acejones

Tested this morning, temps were around 30F. After auto start, steering wheel heater came on, seat heater did not.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:12 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

That's strange that it's so inconsistent. I tried searching for a TSB or previously documented cases of this concern, but unfortunately I can't seem to find any. You can wait to see if others chime in with similar experiences and how they resolved them, otherwise I would recommend a trip to the dealership. I'd be happy to help schedule an appointment if you reach out to me on here.

Quick Reply: Heated seat doesn't kick on with auto start, works manually