4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Shake 4th Gen Ram

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:27 AM
JLUI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Hey guys just wanted to give an update:
just did a 500km trip (Edson to Calgary).

Steering wobble is minor compared to before. I think the machined front rotors might have done the trick.

I do notice a tiny vibration through the body though. I could see my coat shaking ever so slightly on the passenger seat. I brake pretty softly so I don't notice much shake, so i tried a few hard brakes from 120km/h and did notice a little back end shake.

I took the truck back to the dealer earlier in the week and asked them to check the rear rotors. I keep getting the same song and dance. They tell me that the head mechanic drove my truck and says everything is fine. I sorry to say that I have lost all faith in my local dealer.

so I've been doing some more research on the rotors/brakes and it seems to be a chronic problem. looks like some 3rd gen owners have the same problems

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ls-shakes.html

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/R...d_rotors.shtml

Has anyone upgraded their brakes yet? if so any good recommendations

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 AM
John 09

I wanted to provide an update on my truck as well. It was due to be returned to the dealer as the road force balancing on the 20's reduced but did not eliminate the wheel shake. I had it consistently (all the time) between 60 and 70 mph. Ironically, I took it out for a dozen highway miles on both rougher and smoother roads and the shake was gone. So for now, my fingers are crossed that it wasn't a fluke. I'll keep everyone posted, but if it sticks, I'm guessing it was flat spots in the sidewalls.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
usp45compact
Professional

Well I feel really fortunate that mine has absolutely no shake at any speed. But reading through all 10 pages of your guys pain and frusteration, I did have a couple thoughts.

First, if the dealers are jerking you around and telling you it needs new tires, maybe it might be worth your while to play dumb and let them give you some new tires? Mainly if they've already got a lot of miles on them, not really much of a benefit to you if they only have a couple thousand miles.

Second, it might be worth your while to share with each other a little more info about your trucks to see if you all have something in common. I.E. if they were all manufactured around the same time, or all 4 wheel drive, or all 20 inch wheels, or they are all the offroad package, etc..... Might be a starting point to narrowing something down. Just a thought.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 AM
2009detonateryellow
Amateur

Spoke with a friend in Salt Lake today who told me he got rid of the "Death Wobble" (3rd generation) after a recall visit to the dealership. He said they replaced factory steering linkage a new heavier duty set up. The wobble was gone. Has anyone thought of this? Just thought I'd pass it along.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Our trucks are RACK and PINION steering.Those trucks in the recall are recirculating ball steering box 2500/3500 and 4x4s with idler arms,pitman arms etc.Whole different setup."Death wobble" is also a interment violent shake.It will just about break your hand/thumb and such.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Monsoon

I have had my Ram for about 5 weeks now and had the wobble. I took it to the dealer along with many posts and the TSB. They balanced my tires and it's completely gone now.

I must tell you I was worried after reading all the posts about the wobble not being addressed. But I can breath now knowing mine got taken care of.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:15 PM
1970Duster440
Rookie

I have read all the posts and see some of you have 2wd and some 4wd. The big thing I noticed that some of you with 2 wd are complaining of a vibration in your seat at around 40-45mph. I noticed the same thing from day one but to me it felt more like a miss. I took mine to the dealer a couple weeks later and the shop foreman came out and hooked up an analyzer to my data port and said lets go for a drive. I also noticed it more at 40-45 so I got up to 45 and felt what to me felt like a miss and set the cruise to hold it there. I told him it was doing it and he said the mds system had been engaged by the computer and due to the load or lack of, that was what I was feeling. To test it he told me to turn the cruise off and accelerate slowly. As soon as I started to accelerate the vibration or the feeling of the truck missing stopped. I realize some of you are feeling violent like shaking which is probably something else, but some may be the mds system with the hemi. I don't think the guy was trying to snow me because they had nothing to lose at that time cause they had already been notified 3 days before they were losing their franchise. I did have an additional whole truck vibration (minor) after my first rotation at 4000 miles and took it to a Goodyear dealer and they warrantied them out without any argument (told me they had past issues w/wranglers)for 4 brand new Toyos, and yes I still feel the miss or vibration if you want to call it that, especially around 45 mph.

Last edited by 1970Duster440; 09-06-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 11-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Friggin

Add me to the list of people with this problem. I took the truck to the dealer with 250 mi. on the truck. They first called me and said they found no problem. When I picked up the truck the service manager took a ride with me and admitted that there is a shake. He downplayed it as much as possible saying there is always some shake with wheels and tires of this size. He said there was nothing he would do at this time and that I should put 1000 mi. on it. If the problem still persisted then he would pursue it further. They insisted that there was no need for any paper work for the visit, I further insisted that I wasn't leaving without it. So I drive and wait.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM
John 09

Originally Posted by Friggin
Add me to the list of people with this problem. I took the truck to the dealer with 250 mi. on the truck. They first called me and said they found no problem. When I picked up the truck the service manager took a ride with me and admitted that there is a shake. He downplayed it as much as possible saying there is always some shake with wheels and tires of this size. He said there was nothing he would do at this time and that I should put 1000 mi. on it. If the problem still persisted then he would pursue it further. They insisted that there was no need for any paper work for the visit, I further insisted that I wasn't leaving without it. So I drive and wait.
I'm sorry to hear that. Check the TSB sticky post, print it off and take it to your dealer. Long story short, if the truck sat for awhile it's probably flat spots and you should push for new tires. I've had to deal with shake on and off since the truck was new (mine sat at the depot for 3 months before I bought it). The problem I've had is that once you 'ride out the flat spots a bit' the shake will go away, but if the truck sits for a few days they are back. I'm in a brand new truck, but just looking forward to getting a different set of tires. I will never put those stock bad years on again.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
72combo
Champion

I remember a problem that I had with a 2000 with Goodyear tires, they were a good size tire on a Dakota 4x4. Well after a few months it started to get a shake in the steering wheel, took it in, they rotated tires then the feeling went away from the steering wheel and then I felt it in my ***(I got this truck 4 months before I got paralyzed). So I figure had to be one of the rear tires need balancing. They did all four, still feeling it in the ***. For fun I check air pressure, 3 tires all have 40lbs since the tires held 55 or something like that. I can remember the exact numbers but the 40 part is correct. So one tire in the rear was like at 30. I thought to myself, self, do ya think we should put some air in there, well I was lazy but self did it and what the heck the vibration was gone. Pretty weird but sometimes it's stupid stuff.

Quick Reply: Wheel Shake 4th Gen Ram