4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dent/Impression near corner of sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
chris1683
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent/Impression near corner of sunroof? W/Photo [UPDATED]

I was walking down my steps today and noticed that on the top of the truck on the drivers side rear corner of the factory sunroof there is an impression which looks similar to a dent. All other corners look like they have a very slight impression however this one is very noticable even from a distance (assuming you are above the vehicle). *(I will upload a photo tomorrow when there is daylight)

Has anyone noticed anything like this on their truck or should I seek some good ole paintless dent removal? I can say that the truck is mint and I take extra good care of it and know for sure that nothing has hit it or fallen on it so I am thinking this may be a defect from the factory.

Any other's insight is grealty appreciated!

Photos:
Name:  800impression.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  800impression2.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  49.1 KB

Last edited by chris1683; 10-03-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Cal'sFirstRam
Amateur

Had the exact same dents on mine...I got the truck home new from the dealership and the next morning; open the garage door and thats the first thing I noticed. Took the truck back to the dealer and they said it was a common problem from the factory....Something about how they install the sunroofs at the factory. They told me they usually catch it on the incoming inspection; since its one to the things they look for, but my truck was the first rambox trucks to get on the lot...And everyone was just in a hurry to get it off the truck to check it out....Anyways, they pulled the headliner and had the dimples rolled out...Looked as good as new when they finished...There are a few new rams where I work and have noticed it on one of the other trucks...I had one in each corner of the sunroof; one was really bad the other three you had to hold your head just right to notice...

Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 AM
chris1683
Amateur

I uploaded some pictures which show both sides of the sunroof in the initial post. Thanks for the response and I am glad to hear it's not something that is uncommon. I figured it was probably from the sunroof being installed since the metal on the roof is pretty flimsy. I was thinking of calling a dent wizard or someone who does Paintless Dent Removal but I will try the dealership first since the truck is only about a month and a half old. Any other persons input is appreciated!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:52 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

I have a serious PDR kit and use it a lot,but usually for something like that i use the ding king,it is a hot glue type puller that doesnt hurt the paint, I have used it so much i needed more glue, the secret is to let the hot glue cool off completly, i was pulling the ding too soon, and it was just popping off, let it cool, and it will pull that dent out, this stupid little kit works....I dont think yiou will use the bar across it, but i just use the glue rod with the handle to pull them out.
https://www.dingking.tv/?leadsource=...-S-36506772521

Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
chris1683
Amateur

Originally Posted by BULLRAM
I have a serious PDR kit and use it a lot,but usually for something like that i use the ding king,it is a hot glue type puller that doesnt hurt the paint, I have used it so much i needed more glue, the secret is to let the hot glue cool off completly, i was pulling the ding too soon, and it was just popping off, let it cool, and it will pull that dent out, this stupid little kit works....I dont think yiou will use the bar across it, but i just use the glue rod with the handle to pull them out.
https://www.dingking.tv/?leadsource=...-S-36506772521
Yeah I bought that kit about 10 years ago when it came out and totally ruined the door of my Dodge Daytona. It would pull one ding out but then leave another next to it and before long the metal was stretched too far to come back to its original shape. Taught me one good lesson. Leave it to a professional! lol On a side note, I contacted my delaership and they are going to check it out to determine whether or not it will be covered or if I will be paying a dent man at the dealership. I will update the thread when everything is completed with pics.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:57 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

As with all things you have to try it on somthing else first, I always do, but you can just go and try it on your new vehicle,i dont reccomend it , but to each his own, the kit has pulled out MANY dings and dents out of freinds vehicles, but i have had a lot of practice, I used old sheet metal to get the feel first, even with my PDR tools, i started on scrap pieces, i knew I really didnt know what i was doing so I started on something else. I pulled out a ding from a shopping cart on my 09, that you CANT see anymore, I fully agree you can stretch out the metal if you do it with any tool. that kit works best for samll dings or dents, the size of the adapters they give you, if you pull any thing bigger than that ,you need to just use the adapters and the handle, or use a PDR set or get someone else to do it.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 PM
706jim
Veteran

While the puller may give good results, I'd want to experiment on a smaller panel; fender or something that wouldn't look so traumatic if things didn't go well. The roof is a BIG panel.

BTW, does anyone have an idea of the difference in cost betwwen conventional sheet metal repair and the dent removal kind? Some idiot sat on the hood of our Honda Civic, leaving a big, bum-sized dent that has to be repaired.

Last edited by 706jim; 09-13-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Just thought of something else
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
chris1683
Amateur

Originally Posted by 706jim
While the puller may give good results, I'd want to experiment on a smaller panel; fender or something that wouldn't look so traumatic if things didn't go well. The roof is a BIG panel.

BTW, does anyone have an idea of the difference in cost betwwen conventional sheet metal repair and the dent removal kind? Some idiot sat on the hood of our Honda Civic, leaving a big, bum-sized dent that has to be repaired.
Paintless dent removal is far cheaper than having a panel repaired and resprayed. It also maintains the original finish which is somehting that I can personally say is very hard for body shops to match exactly.

The PDR I have had done in the past included a medium sized dent from a tree limb which fell on the rear quarter panel of my 06 Dakota. The man who worked on it did a spectacular job and it was nearly impossible to find and the cost was about 100.00. I have also had dings pulled form doors and the results have always been amazing. Google PDR and can find out what dents are able to be pulled and which are not.

And as for the guy who sat on your car, I would have beaten his A$$.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM
teton

strange....I noticed the same dent on mine the other day...I have about 4K miles on it now...I wonder if the dealer will fix it now that I can no longer prove it came that way?

mine looks identical to yours...let me know how it went!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
chris1683
Amateur

Originally Posted by teton
strange....I noticed the same dent on mine the other day...I have about 4K miles on it now...I wonder if the dealer will fix it now that I can no longer prove it came that way?

mine looks identical to yours...let me know how it went!!!
Will do. I have an appointment tomorrow morning so I will update the post with the results.

Quick Reply: Dent/Impression near corner of sunroof?