Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Blown infinity door subs

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown infinity door subs

The infinity speakers in the driver front door is shot. I really don't want to do a whole new set of speakers plus amp. Has anyone else run into this problem and what have you replaced them with?

I read somewhere that there is a some form of recall on these and that dodge will replace them?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 PM
swinger525
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure they aren't going to do a free replacement on a blown speaker. At least they won't at my dealership.

Those are usually caused by excessive volume or 'dirty' music (low bitrate, poor quality)

I would replace them with the mid priced speakers from a big box store. Its just a 6x9 speaker.

I put in high end JL speakers and did the whole amp thing, but any aftermarket speaker will probably perform better than the upgraded inifinity package.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta be careful which speakers to get because most Infinity's are 2ohms while others are 4 or 6ohms. Your factory amp may have some cutting out issue's if you put a different impedence in there.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM
swinger525
Rookie

Ya, impedence is important. Isn't the premium audio set-up in our trucks 4ohm though? I have my stock set-up speakers here, they are definitly 4ohm, but I knew I was building a good stereo in my truck, and didn't go for the factory upgrade!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by swinger525
Ya, impedence is important. Isn't the premium audio set-up in our trucks 4ohm though? I have my stock set-up speakers here, they are definitly 4ohm, but I knew I was building a good stereo in my truck, and didn't go for the factory upgrade!
I don't believe the Infinity sound has 4ohm woofers. When you put 2 4ohm speakers together it drops the impedence in half to 2ohms when wired in parallel which the factory usually does. That means normal...lol
Series which is alternating positives and negatives would double the impedence from 4 to 8ohms.

I never seen the backside of a Chrysler equipt Infinity woofer so i couldn't properly tell you the answer. Best bet is to pull one. Getting the door panel off is super easy. In my 08, the door handle had to come off first and then there were two #3 phillips screws one near the door handle and one up by the mirror and the panel slid up and off.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
nh5
Veteran

aren't the amps attached to the backs of the door speakers? Maybe I will go for a amp and rewire everything then?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by nh5
aren't the amps attached to the backs of the door speakers? Maybe I will go for a amp and rewire everything then?
No. I think they are tucked up under the dash behind the glove box? Def. not in the doors where fluids can get to them.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 AM
nh5
Veteran

Oh since the older rams had them in the doors. I'm gonna see if I can take the door off tomorrow and see whats there. I'm guessing I'd have to rewire all 7 speakers if I got a different amp and new speakers?

Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 AM
codiac
Professional

They are 2ohm coming off the factory amp, and Infinity 6x9's will work since they run 2ohm....you won't get anything but bass from the speakers, but the price is right, and crutchfield should include the dodge adapter for free.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086929...-9i.html?tp=91

Old 12-30-2008, 01:06 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

i got my 6x9 on this website. they are priced really good.
http://audiovideodimension.com/

Quick Reply: Blown infinity door subs