Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2012 Uconnect SW update

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, thanks for todays education and explanation. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by mmark27
Well, the issue really isn't in "rooting" the phone, it is more when one uses custom ROMs that tweak the phone's kernel to "optimize" things for their specific ROM or need. In case there are those that read this and don't know.....kernels control very low level things like drivers for the screen, mic, GPS, radios, etc. that the phone software needs to interact with.

So if you just root your phone and don't do anything else to the kernel, the phonebook and whatnot will work just fine. If you install a custom kernel to the phone, then you might have issues.

I tested quite a few other ROMs and some kernel tweaks work okay and others do not. Overall though, I have found from all my testing, that running the phone stock as Samsung and Sprint would like you to, yields the best battery results and the most consistent usage of features. More importantly, features like All Share Play where you can mirror the phone to your Samsung Smart TVs, doesn't work at all on rooted ROMs to this point. So stock is fine.

The main reason folks root their phone is to get around some limitations like carrier restricted data-tethering (like data to a laptop through your cellular connection). Since Sprint's service is absolutely abysmal here, there's no way that would be beneficial to me. Some other uses of rooting are less nefarious like installing newer features from a future Android build like Photospheres, etc.

Sorry for the largely off topic response, but it might help others in some futuristic time.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 AM
xsdbs
Captain

well that's weird, I posted to this but it seems to be gone. Anyway, can you tell us how you're trying to download the pb? Are you trying to use the setup menu and voice commands? If so then that won't work. When the pairing is completed, Apple will download the pb automatically.
Try pressing and releasing the Uconnect phone button and say "phonebook, list names". Does she start to list names? If so then press and release the UC phone button again.
Now press and release the UC phone button and say "call David (or whomever)". What happens?
If you are using digit dialing then the command is "dial ########"
<Call - for a contact, dial - for digits>

Originally Posted by sunil158
Hi, I know this is a Dodge forum but saw several posts related to Uconnect RHB model here. Please let me know if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I just bought a brand new Jeep Compass 2013 that has the 430N/RHB dashboard panel with Uconnect bluetooth. I also have an Iphone 5 IoS version 6.1.3 (the latest as of today).

While pairing and phone works, I am unable to download my phonebook to it. Have tried many times through setup but it doesn't seem to work. I have about 200 names in my contact on Iphone.

So my question is: 1. how to download the phonebook to my Uconnect and 2. Is there a firmware upgrade available for my system? If yes, where do I go to get the update file and also, how to update it? I figured it would involve copying the update file on an USB drive but would like a step by step instructions.

Again, I am sorry if I am in the wrong forum. I have checked the Jeep forum and haven't been able to find any solution.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM
sunil158
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi xsdbs, first thanks for your response. Actually, I am able to voice dial by saying the name or number. So I guess, it's working fine. However, I think I might have misinterpreted the word 'phone book' because I expected a contact screen (like in Iphones or any other cell phone) to appear on the UConnect screen allowing me to choose a number from the list instead of voice dialling.

If it's not possible, then there's not much we can do about it. No big deal.

One thing though I have noticed that if I voice command 'SETUP' then 'PHONE BOOK' (or it may have been PHONE BOOK DOWNLOAD), it responds by saying 'this feature not available in this phone, or something to that effect). What does that mean?

Thanks again. Love the Jeep though..Still exploring features.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Ok, great. There isn't a PB page screen that comes up on the display like you see on the phone. So if you know who you want to call then use the "call' command. If you don't remember the person or business name, then scroll thru the phones contact and select it to call and the call will continue to go thru Uconnect from there.
The "setup, pb, dl" is for phones that support the sending of stored #'s that are on the SIM card. You see, some people may have work contacts stored onto the SIM card and personal #'s on the local pb on the phone. If they wanted to dl the work contacts, there are 2 ways to do that.
1) If the phone supports the feature of SIM dl, then you can send them that way.
2) From the phone contact screen, open the menu tab, there should be an "import / export" tab, select that and import from SIM. This will copy the SIM contacts to the local pb on the phone itself. The next time that you turn the ign key on, Uconnect will download the new contact list including the local pb & the SIM contacts.

Originally Posted by sunil158
Hi xsdbs, first thanks for your response. Actually, I am able to voice dial by saying the name or number. So I guess, it's working fine. However, I think I might have misinterpreted the word 'phone book' because I expected a contact screen (like in Iphones or any other cell phone) to appear on the UConnect screen allowing me to choose a number from the list instead of voice dialling.

If it's not possible, then there's not much we can do about it. No big deal.

One thing though I have noticed that if I voice command 'SETUP' then 'PHONE BOOK' (or it may have been PHONE BOOK DOWNLOAD), it responds by saying 'this feature not available in this phone, or something to that effect). What does that mean?

Thanks again. Love the Jeep though..Still exploring features.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM
viperlmw

xsdbs: Thank you. I have a 2011 Challenger with the RES 130 radio with Uconnect, build date mid May, 2011. I have never been happy with Bluetooth audio quality, but none of the updates you have posted for 2011 would install. I read thru this thread, and stumbled on the post where you indicated that the update for 2012 should work on an 06-11 unit, so I figured, what the hell, and tried it, and it worked! Bluetooth sounds much better. I use Slacker on an Iphone 4s, and most of those functions work as well, both UCI and Bluetooth. So again, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Uconnect SW update-challenger1.jpg   2012 Uconnect SW update-challenger.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Matthew Wigger

Just a follow up, i got the part 05091961AA a while back and installed it and it is pretty cool. Just a quick question, are there any updates pending for this unit. Every now and then the ipod will just cut out, i have also noticed that bluetooth streaming is very slow and the track name only comes up for a couple of seconds on the display. There is also a dull static/electronic noise when using ipod that wasnt there before. Perhaps my REQ radio is not able to handle the new module.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 AM
xsdbs
Captain

There are no new updates for this module, it has the most current SW in it. Uconnect will display what is sent to it and does not download the iPod data into it's memory so the information that's being sent from the iPod may not be consistent. I would try rebooting the iPod, this isn't the same as turning it off and back on again. Rebooting is different depending on which iPod you have (you didn't mention this). Look online for this information and give it a shot.
I have also had to resync my iPods a couple times with iTunes when there was an issue, this has also helped.

Originally Posted by Matthew Wigger
Just a follow up, i got the part 05091961AA a while back and installed it and it is pretty cool. Just a quick question, are there any updates pending for this unit. Every now and then the ipod will just cut out, i have also noticed that bluetooth streaming is very slow and the track name only comes up for a couple of seconds on the display. There is also a dull static/electronic noise when using ipod that wasnt there before. Perhaps my REQ radio is not able to handle the new module.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:18 PM
willwalsh99

I have a 2012 Charger with the touch screen radio. It is the smaller screen with no GPS. I can not get my connect to work. I know how to set it up and have used it in the past. The problem I am having is she I go to press the connect on the menu it turns red and stays that way for hours. Others turn red and move on to the next menu. If I press the phone button on the steering wheel it does nothing either. The only other problem that I am having it when I press the button to recirculate the internal air in the vehicle it lights up yellow and blinks then goes off. Not sure if this is a software issue or not. I have disconnected the battery and pulled fuses. That didn't work either.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 AM
xsdbs
Captain

This particular update won't work on that radio. There are 3 different Uconnect suppliers and each only support certain radios, this one supports the "RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB".
You may have to go to the dealer and see if there are any DTC's on the radio.
Sorry

Originally Posted by willwalsh99
I have a 2012 Charger with the touch screen radio. It is the smaller screen with no GPS. I can not get my connect to work. I know how to set it up and have used it in the past. The problem I am having is she I go to press the connect on the menu it turns red and stays that way for hours. Others turn red and move on to the next menu. If I press the phone button on the steering wheel it does nothing either. The only other problem that I am having it when I press the button to recirculate the internal air in the vehicle it lights up yellow and blinks then goes off. Not sure if this is a software issue or not. I have disconnected the battery and pulled fuses. That didn't work either.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:31 PM
HolyGearHead

I can't get the system to read the file nor get to set up. How do you determine which radio is installed?

Quick Reply: 2012 Uconnect SW update