Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Building a custom sub box and amp rack!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:48 PM
theDogger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a custom sub box and amp rack!

Ok so I decided to start my build after a lot of research into the sub box. Here is the build list and pics
Alpine 9887 Head
Alpine SWR-12D4 12"
Focal 165A3-SG 6.5"
Focal 165A1
Alpine MXR-M110
Alpine MXR-F65
Stinger SPC505
Stinger Expert accessories and wire

So I decided on only 1-12" sub as I wanted room to display my amps and hardware. Here are some shots. The sealed box is 1.0cu ft and 9.5" deep. The rear drivers side seat has 2 spacers under it (3/4" & 1/2") the seat will hook and unhook. I also cut the front tabs off the seats to allow the base layer to lay flat. These are mock-up block new ones will be cut and covered with matching carpet

Passenger side only uses a 3/4" spacer

This gave me enough room to go with 2-3/4" and 1-1/2" MDF and then a 3/4" MDF top.

I framed out the box

This is the top of the box mocked up on a 1/2" MDF board to check fitment

This is the mock up top so once the 3/4" MDF is used I'll have around 9.5" depth.

Still have good clearance under the seat

1 cu ft of air confirmed

The passenger side that will carry the amps and hardware

I will be starting to fiberglass the tub and attach the frame waiting on US Composites for the resin and 1.5 oz chop mat. I have not decided how I am going to finish it yet, either carpet or I might fiberglass the entire board and add a light up alpine logo to the left of the sub.

I'll keep posting as I progress over the new couple of weeks

theDogger

Last edited by theDogger; 09-23-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good. When you get ready to put a double DIN in the truck, let me know. I have everything a dash piece here with your name on it

Old 09-30-2013, 12:02 PM
theDogger
Rookie

Here are some pic of a custom box that I am doing. The box is just shy of 1.0cu ft. I did it on the drivers side rear so I have room for the amps on the other. Will post more int he next few days as I am fiber-glassing a beauty cover for it with a ALPINE logo that will illuminate in blue. Not sure if I am going to cut the logo out or frost a piece of plex..

theDogger

Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Coming out real nice.

Did you do the trim ring under the sub to raise it to get more basket/magnet clearance?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 PM
theDogger
Rookie

Ok here is the dilemma that I am trying to figure out...Ok here are some images...(I wish I could post live images after the initial post not just links!!)

You can see where I am going with this but how can I use the speaker ring in the glass work and still be able to get the sub out. Once it is dropped in I will have to pull the box out and tip it ove to get the sub out.

So stay with me here I am thinking of making the glass a beauty board and the ring attached to the beauty board. The ring will solid mount to the subbox top and the rest of the board will be a moulded fit. To get the sub out I have to unscrew the speaker ring and the entire beauty board will lift off leaving just the speaker exposed....

Any thoughs on the this guys?

theDogger

Old 10-05-2013, 05:11 PM
theDogger
Rookie

Ok more pics, I got the beauty board mocked up last night and covered it with resin. I pulled it this morning and looks pretty good. Just need to strengthen it with some fiberglass and should work out. The idea is that this will just cover the top of the box and make it easier to get the sub out with needed.

theDogger

Old 10-05-2013, 07:30 PM
theDogger
Rookie

Really nice day out today so I was able to get out in the sun and get the glass laded and cured. I have rough trimmed the cover and it fits perfect. Now have to wait until Monday when the body shop suppy store is open to get some Rage Gold to lay out and get it all smoothed and bottom edges trimmed and even

This router bit in a air tool is the best at removing the excess around the speaker ring. Some of you might know about it but most don't. Beats trying to use a straight blade.

Test fit with the sub!

theDogger

Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Coming along very nicely

Old 10-05-2013, 11:19 PM
theDogger
Rookie

Couple more shots, the days winding down been at it since 7am this morning

I think that I might need to add some wings to hide the seat mounts

Now to figure out how to tie it all together, paint and carpet or 3m Carbonfiber vinyl.
Going to start on running the power wire and speaker wire tomorrow...then onto the dynamat.

theDogger

Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 PM
FALaholic

Just found your post since I am researching doing an upgrade as well. Its inspiring, but overwhelming. Did you finish?

Quick Reply: Building a custom sub box and amp rack!