Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

RAM 1500 Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Chris27
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow RAM 1500 Center Console

Lifted up my elbow as I was leaving my car and I noticed some red smudge on the center console. I rubbed it with my finger to see if it would come out. No luck. I used a Wolfgang interior spray and that didn't do much either. Wondering if anyone knows how to get this out of the center console.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try using a microfiber with Dawn dish detergent.
FF

Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
bestram

i always use resolve carpet cleaner and it works wonders

Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Detail King

Use with caution but if you use a 2-1 ammonia water mix dont soak it use light sprays so you dont risk the mildew smell but spray a light mist and let it sit for 20-40 sec the use a dry MF towel and lightly rub the spot if the first time doesn't get it all then repeat till the stain is gone the key is using very little at a time so if you have to repeat 5 times to get it out you wont soak the console after lightly scrubbing 3-5 times put your hand on it and if you feel that it is getting really saturated then let it sit for a little bit to dry up a little the key is patience and persistance.

Remember pressure is the enemy when you remove the stain. If its cloth you want to keep working with the stain to bring the contaminants to the surface to remove. Once contaminants are removed vacuum the area to help pull any little bit that might still be there, (you wont see this little bit until it is dry if there is any remaining contaminant) also the vacuum will help pull some of the moisture out so it dries faster. If it is a leather console spray a little on your MF towel and gently rub the stain. (Using this methode will remove small amounts of the contaminants at a time till its gone but using alot of pressure on leather can cause it to become dull in that spot or if it is a darker color leather to much pressure will start pulling the color out). For the leather console after its all gone get a leather cleaner and conditioner they make an all in one or you can buy them separate. I recommend Lexol but others work just as well. Wipe it with the cleaner then condition it because the ammonia will dry out the leather if you dont condition it you risk cracking. sorry for the length hope this was a help.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

I was assuming the console is hard plastic. Where does it say it is carpet?
FF

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Detail King

Well mr dish soap it doesnt say that it was carpet or not and i know that cloth and vinyl were the options so i guess i shouldnt have said leather cause technically its vinyl and leather and vinyl are treated relatively the same way but i just used my car knowledge and stated how to remove it from both types since he didnt state what he has it says he has a 2006 SLT and unless special ordered the only trucks that had a fixed plastic center console are the Laramie the interior options for 2006 are
Interior
Khaki, cloth
Khaki, premium cloth
Khaki, vinyl
Medium Slate Gray, cloth
Medium Slate Gray, premium cloth
Medium Slate Gray, vinyl

Front Seats
Front head room: 40.8 in.
Front hip room: 65.0 in.
Front leg room: 41.0 in.
Front shoulder room: 67.0 in.
Cloth
40-20-40 split bench front seats

Convenience
Cruise control
Front console with storage
Front cupholders
Front door pockets
Retained accessory power
Power steering
12V front power outlet(s)
Tilt-adjustable steering wheel

http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/ram-pic...tyle=100593574

The original post was made because he was needing another idea to get the red mark off. It wasnt made so smart asses can come and post comments challenging other peoples opinions. Theres not only one way to remove the mark. I just told him what works for me on the cars i detail, which im removing stuff like that on a regular basis. Since you want to go there did you ever think about the fact that dish soap is intended to be washed off? If you just wipe it off it leaves a weird film on it, not to mention regular dawn will really dry out plastic and there is potential to damage the plastic beyond repair which means replacing it. If you put dawn on vinyl it will cause discoloration very easily and i hope your smart enough to know that putting dish soap on cloth is 100% wrong it will get stuck in the fibers and cause it to feel hard. When people post questions its not so that people like you can come in trying to get something started. If you would like more correct info on the topic then PM me i would be glad to inform you better otherwise this is not the place for comments like that.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

My 'smart ***' question was for clarification since the second post mentioned Resolve carpet cleaner. I mentioned Dawn dish soap as it removes grease very easily. Did you ever try to get engine grease off your hands with bar soap? Secondly, they tried Wolfgang spray which made me think it is a plastic covered console. Detail King, I asked a simple question and you go off for no apparent reason. I did not stumble into this section to cause strife. I am a moderator for a reason.
FF

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 09-21-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
b1llyw
Professional

I'd try a little diluted Simple Green.

Quick Reply: RAM 1500 Center Console