Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

more acceleration as foot is removed from the accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM
pat4life
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more acceleration as foot is removed from the accelerator

im having a really strange issue I've never come across before. when I start the car it runs rough (just suddenly happened with no warning). after that when the car is put into gear it wants to jump forward. as I push down on the accelerator the car will get to around 15 mph with the petal pushed all the way down and the rpms don't go pass i'd say 2000 (no tachometer). The more I let my foot of the accelerator the rpms increase and it will pick up some speed very slowly. right before the accelerator is completely let out is when your get the most acceleration. its similar in reverse. please help this is my only transportation at the moment and I can't afford for it to be out of commission for to long. thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Have an autoparts house scan your computer for free-hopefully its your tps and not your cats--

Old 04-28-2014, 05:24 PM
pat4life

im sorry im not very good with all the acronyms could you just elaborate onto what those two things are please. I really appreciate your time and response thank you.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:12 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Is the lightning bolt lit on the dash? It is more than likely the throttlebody or the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). You need to have it scanned to see what codes are in the computer. AutoZone does it for free.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM
johnnyelectron

I concur - it sounds like either the calibration of the TPS or you need a whole new Throttle Position Sensor. Look for the lightning bolt between two lines on your dash warning lights. AutoZone and some other stores will scan your computer for codes and can tell you if it's that sensor (if you can safely drive to the store to have it checked).
Locally, that is likely about a $85 an hour to diagnose, and another hour to install if I had to guess what the dealer would charge, plus the TPS sensor cost. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: more acceleration as foot is removed from the accelerator