Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

how to tell if trany is in limp

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
ekoms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to tell if trany is in limp

Just woundering how to tell if my trnny is in limp mode cause it doesnt seam to be shiftting. the guy I got the van from said the tranny was rebuit 500 miles ago. not sure though.

thanks for the info......................ekoms

Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: how to tell if trany is in limp

check engine light is on

Old 06-18-2007, 02:05 PM
chopper
Veteran

The tranny won't shift out of second gear.Believe me,unless you're completely ignorant about cars you'll know.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 PM
ekoms

thanks for the replies. I guess my tranny is fine (no codes/light), Just cant hear or feel shift shock. I can get up to 65-70 with out a problem. if i let off the gas my speed drops to 40-45. when, where does 4th engage ? sorry for my noobie ?s just doesn't seam right to me. I think its suck in third.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 PM
greaseangel
Professional

It might be a 3 speed. What year model and engine? I found out my 97 3.0 is a three speed. I was worried about the same thing as you at one point, I could never feel it go into 4th. My mechanic friend laughed at me and said it's because the 97 3.0 has the three speed.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:40 AM
next2pool
Professional

You really can help us if you include your van specifics as well as your location when you post. However, never feel intimidated by some of the replies you may recieve! You can pretty well tell which tranns you have by looking at your PRNDL or trans indicator on your dash.. If it has three or four ranges in the drive side will tell you how many gears you have. One of the best ways to tell if your trans has upshifted all the way is to pull the shift lever to the next lowest setting and you should immediately hear and feel the engine speed up--of not, it is stuck in a lower gear. With a 4 spd 3rd or 4th gear can be difficult ot discern, but with a 3spd, the rpm's should be immediately noticeable.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:59 AM
ekoms

thanks again, I have a 92 Dodge Gran Caravan with a 3.3l . looking at the trans indicator it goes PRND3L (D=overdrive). So I take it that I have an 3 speed. It just seams to be stuck in second/third. Starting from an dead stop is very slow. sometimes the engine struggles a little at start then picks up. but I do drive it 11miles up hill (7000ish in elevation) at 50-55ish everyday from work. the damn thing gets really hot too. another reason I thought it might be stuck in whatever gear. but I do know that it is not shifting.

Thanks...............ekoms

Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 AM
chopper
Veteran

If your van has a tachometer it will read about 1700-1800 rpm in overdrive at 55 mph.
Going up hill for that long of a period would get any car hot,especially in the summer.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM
ekoms

nope, no tachometer. What are some things that cause the tranny not to shift. What should check out. also Tranny is stuck in 2nd (limp mode) but I can still go 55+ up hill.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:57 PM
ekoms

Any1 I'm lost, got no codes to work with.

Quick Reply: how to tell if trany is in limp