Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Electric Super Charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Encrypt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Super Charger

I have Dodge Caravan 2.4L 97 model, is it safe if i will put electric super charger to my caravan? I need advice from anybody. Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: Electric Super Charger

I think it is safe, but I also think you will be disappointed. A supercharger normally needs lots of horsepower to be effective, and electric ones don't have enough power. It's almost shocking but a mechanical supercharger can generate 100hp but uses 60 of it to do so--that gives you an idea of the energy required. My guess is those electric jobs consume maybe 2 hp (in electrical load)so I can't imagine what they can generate.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 PM
vlmuke
Professional

I have to agree with Next you will be disappointed the electric motor is not powerful enough to push the air needed what I would suggest but is costly is a turbo charger they make them for the 2.4 and you'll get much more performace that way I would look under the Neon section as A LOT OF GUYS put turbos on the 2.4 you might be able to get one cheaper used out of a wrecked car though

Old 01-10-2008, 07:11 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 'electric superchagers' being sold are actually a Metro Vacuum cleaner product that is meant to inflate white water rafts with 12 volt power. I have owned one for years...I think I bought it for about $45...and I can tell you it does not put out much over 1 psi maximum.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/bookings...ump_12volt.htm

Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Encrypt

Thank you for the replys brother, I will not waist money for turbos on my caravan. Your advice helps me alot.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 PM
robert213

ORIGINAL: vlmuke

what I would suggest but is costly is a turbo charger they make them for the 2.4 and you'll get much more performace that way I would look under the Neon section as A LOT OF GUYS put turbos on the 2.4
I am not familiar with internal components in either Caravan or Turbo Neon 2.4L engines. What I do know is -- you cannot simply bolt on a turbocharger and corresponding exhaust manifold on a normally aspirated engine.

1) You must also borrow the Engine Managment system from Turbo Neon.

a. ignition timing must advance during decelleration, e.g. intake manifold vacuum. (this already occurs withnormally aspirated (n/a) engine)

b. ignition timing must retard during accelleration, e.g. progressively with increased rpms

c. ignition time must retard when knock is detected by knock sensor

2) You must also borrow Fuel system from Turbo Neon.

a. highpressure electric fuel pump

b. fuel pressure regulator must increase fuel pressure 1 psi for each additional corresponding 1 psi of intake manifold boost, e.g. from turbo.

3) You may need to borrow engine from Turbo Neon.

a. verify crank/rod bearings are strong enough.

b. verify exhaust valves are strong enough.

c. verify cam specs are suitable for increased compression resulting from boost.

d. verify that compression ratio of pistons is less than 8.5:1. You may get away with 9.0:1, if you keep turbo boost below 10 psi.

4)You will need additional guages

a. Wideband O2 sensor and Wideband Air/Fuel Mixture gauge

b. Boost gauge (start with 5 psi of boost and gradually increase to 15 psi -- keeping an eye on Wideband A/F gauge and ignition timing throughout all rpm ranges.

This isn't as difficult as it seems at first. I know many people (Do-It-Yourself home mechanics who are comfortable with swapping out engines and electrical wiring harnesses) who have made turbo-versions out of their normally aspirated vehicles. All were built using common salvage yard parts.

I would love to see a Turbo Neon 2.4L swapped into a Caravan. Does anyone have any pictures to show?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
vlmuke
Professional

Robert I agree with you thats why I directed him toward the neon forum to see what is entailed in installing a turbo rather than have you or some else spendenergy typing what you did

Quick Reply: Electric Super Charger