Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Vans & CUVs > Dodge Caravan
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Sponsored by Dodgetruckparts
Click Here

Need to replace TIPM on caravan sxt 2008

Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Need to replace TIPM on caravan sxt 2008

Hi All,

My minivan has been acting crazy, I took it to the dealer and they told me the Totally integrated power module ( TIPM ) needs to be replace and the want $580 for the JOB.

I found the part on the internet for $170

Before I go ahead and buy the part I want to know if this is somthing I could do me self or is this a part that once change has to be program

I honestly do not have $580 laying around for that job and the van is currently park since it can not be driven

Thank you
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Record Breaker

You can buy the parts online and have your dealer install it to save a little bit of money. yes! it has to be programed, and you have to get the right one for the VIN! if you order one online, make sure you give the online dealer your VIN, CALL THEM!

why not talk to your dealer and have them drop the price a little? most of the time they will rather drop the price 20% than have you walk out of the door.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 PM

Good luck finding the part, over 600 on back order. My van has been sitting behind dealership for 16 days out of service waiting for part. Be sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA and maybe they will issue a recall someday.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanff View Post
Good luck finding the part, over 600 on back order. My van has been sitting behind dealership for 16 days out of service waiting for part. Be sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA and maybe they will issue a recall someday.
As Redmaff said when to dealer and pay for part was told is in backorder

Said their supplier has as of today 47 waiting to be ship, where so I file a complain about this issue??
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 AM

I just received mine from backorder on 6-28-12. Make sure your dealer puts you on a wait list. It only takes about 30 min to change it. As far as reprogramming goes, all I had to do was first seat the airbag double fuse(one with yellow lock tab over it) and the ignition off draw fuse(IOD) then reconnect battery. Next step is to turn key to run position(not start) for 12 seconds, turn key off then back on. Should be ready to start at this point. Those instructions are directly from alldata. The part number for an '08 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 should be RL049720-AT.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Default tipm 08 sxt van

Have the same problem with my 08 GC sxt. Also my part number is 56049720AT....no RL in front. Did you buy it on line and have it flashed or do the fuse thing? Lifted mine out but haven't disconnected it yet..... works fine most times but goes ******* once in awhile. See it online for $192
Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Champion

Fuse thing only works if the part is new. If it has been connected to another vehicle, it has to be programmed with a dealer scan tool.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM

I purchased my TIPM new from the dealer. No issues since replacing it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 PM

Default tipm??

We just bought our van 3 months ago, used 08 grand caravan sxt, & today it went crazy. I was going about 55 mph & the windshield wipers came on, the horn started blaring & all my gauges quit working. I pulled over to the side of the road & attempted to shut my van off but when I removed the key, the van continued running. After about 4 minutes everything shut off. Why has there not been a recall issued for this? I have read thousands of complaints listing the exact problems I had tonight! Because I bought used, I have no warranty. For those of you that had the tipm replaced did that fix the problems or did they re occur?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 AM

I can only speak for my self, Yes the TIPM fix the issue with the van been crazy

I am not sure how but like you I think this should be part of a recall since it can be very dangoreous

As a recomendation take it to a dealer, My transmition also gave out 6 months ago and I am kicking my self for not taking it to the dealer to save $300
Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 AM