Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

O2 Sensor -- Easy To Replace BANK 1 SENSOR 1??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:21 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question O2 Sensor -- Easy To Replace BANK 1 SENSOR 1??

2002 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3L V6)

My Malfunction Indicator Light is on and after having the code read, it states:

P0135
O2 Heater Element, Bank 1 Sensor 1

I was told to purchase a new O2 Sensor Upstream. I have the new part. To remove / install the part the Service Manual states to Remove The Battery + Tray, Remove the Speed Control Vacuum Harness, Disconnect the Electric Connector from Servo, etc. Wooooooah. Before i flip all over the manuals to figure out how to remove / disconnect all these different parts IS THERE an easier more direct way of removing the old O2 Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and inserting the new one OR is the described "scenic route" the only way at the part?

THanks

Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 AM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely don't need to do all of that. The job would be much easier if you buy/borrow/rent a socket that is for O2 sensor replacement because it has a slot in the side for the sensor pigtail. You can then do the job either from below or above, whichever is easier for you. I did it from above and used a variety of extensions and knuckles although I still wound up with a few scrapes.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

TIPS.
Sometimes the sensor doesn't want to break loose. Run the van for 5 minutes to heat up the exhaust then try again.

Over the years some have complained Bosch sensors fail quickly after installing. Some have no problems. If you bought a Bosch sensor give it some thought.

I'll second the slotted socket. AutoZone and other parts stores will loan them for a deposit.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 AM
quantass
Professional
Question O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 UPSTREAM -- WHERE??

I'm supposed to replace O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. I have the 2002 Dodge Caravan Service Manual but from the diagram i do not see exactly where the O2 Sensor 1/1 Upstream is located. I did see (1) item with a coil spring on its end buried on the backside of the engine halfway between either side but is that the Upstream Bank 1 Sensor 1?

Anyone have a photo of where the O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Upstream is located on a 2002 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3L V6)? The service manual is normally very good but in this case i cant locate what it is pointing at.[IMG]chrome://dictionarytip/skin/dtipIconHover.png[/IMG]

Last edited by quantass; 11-05-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Yours should be similar to this:

Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 AM
quantass
Professional

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Yours should be similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5bQ89qljU
Thank you. I will give it a go. If i have trouble from above i will attack it from underneath.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

you could also remove the wiper try to give you lots of room

see last pic on this thread

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2531517-post37.html

Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 PM
quantass
Professional

How do you guys remove the O2 sensor wiring from the car?

I've pulled back the red latch and am pressing on the black tab at the back (to lift the front). Trying to pull never detatches the item from the car's wiring. From the new O2 sensor i can see plastic screws on the bottom which go into the car. Does this mean i have to first separate it from the car, somehow.

The area prevents me from using 2 hands.

Trophyslayer, perhaps you are right. Removing the entire hood is perhaps the only way to get 2 hands in the area. I see no other way to detatch the wiring without it.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM
quantass
Professional

SUCCESS!!!

I got the stubborn O2 sensor out and new one in. Thanks so much guys!!! All it took was more scratches and scrapes on my right arm and more force on the breaker bar.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 PM
JamesVadella
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quantass
I'm supposed to replace O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. I have the 2002 Dodge Caravan Service Manual but from the diagram i do not see exactly where the O2 Sensor 1/1 Upstream is located. I did see (1) item with a coil spring on its end buried on the backside of the engine halfway between either side but is that the Upstream Bank 1 Sensor 1?

Anyone have a photo of where the O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Upstream is located on a 2002 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3L V6)? The service manual is normally very good but in this case i cant locate what it is pointing at.[IMG]chrome://dictionarytip/skin/dtipIconHover.png[/IMG]

The sensor for Bank 1 is located within the top of the far rear exhaust manifold (behind the top of the engine) -- and is just in front of the catalytic converter. You should also see the downstream O2 Sensor sticking out of the driver's side of the catalytic converter while under the vehicle. Know that the upstream sensor sits atop the exhaust pipe and is situated before the catalytic converter. It screws straight down into the exhaust pipe from above. I used a very nice O2 Socket wrench with a handle that allowed for upwards and dowwards pivoting. This is important because I found it is best to replace the sensor from beneath the vehicle. Disconnecting the plug which is situated on the top, rear,
passenger portion of the engine is relatively easy. Simply insert the tip of a very small regular-head screwdriver into the opening where the plug is designed to be pressed to release the tab. Simply insert the tip of the screwdriver and twist in the direction that forces the two parts of the plug away from one another. Best of success with this do-it-yourself job. Jimmy V

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor -- Easy To Replace BANK 1 SENSOR 1??