Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: Need diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:17 PM
quattj
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may just end up bringing it to my mechanic if he can look at it Friday.

Does an OBD1 scanner show more info than the ignition code method does? I see in my Haynes manual that only some of the engine codes say they will light the check engine light. Not sure if that also means only some will show up with the ignition code method as opposed to using an actual scanner.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:07 PM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May want to have a compression test done?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 PM
quattj
Professional

I have an appointment with my mechanic for Thursday.

However, I received some advice to try swapping out the distribution coil pack. I still have my old '92 Town and Country for parts, so I figured nothing to lose.

Had a somewhat rough ride home from work, with stuttering on the highway and it getting mad when backing up and idling in the driveway.

Did a quick coil pack swap when I got home tonight, and so far it is looking very promising. After the swap, a 5 minute test drive, idle, and reverse were all nice and smooth.

Will report back tomorrow to see if all is well after a drive on the highway.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM
quattj
Professional

Naturally it was randomly 35 degrees today.

Aside from that, I think the ignition coil was the problem. 100 percent better driveability. Even got back power that was lost during certain points throughout the acceleration range. Feels like an engine again!

Last edited by quattj; 04-16-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Good job! Let your mechanic know you may not be in, Just don't say you may have fix the problem just yet.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM
quattj
Professional

Pleased to report my fuel economy has jumped from an appalling 19.x MPG back up to 23.5 MPG on my last (first total since fixing) full tank of gas.

It's been running well since the fix, but I did have a couple of sputters yesterday. I ordered a brand new coil and hopefully that will sort out any remaining issue, as the replacement coil I used was from my old van which had its own special problems.

I have had a few instances of it not starting on the first key turn since then (also in the past few days) so I may end up swapping the starter as well (old van has about a year old starter)

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: Need diagnosis