Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2007 Gr Caravan SXT - stutters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 PM
TJCampbell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Gr Caravan SXT - stutters

I have a '07

I recently replaced EGR valve.

My check engine light is now flashing! I pulls these 2 codes:
P2302
P0406

I had a leak in the intake manifold where the EGR tube connects, but that is fixed. I do need to get replacement intake manifold cover.

What happens now, is a rough idle, but idling RPMs are good (approx 800). I took it for a short drive, and noticed if I hit 3000 rpm and/or 40km/hr the van shakes and engine shudders quite bad, and will not let me go any faster or get the rpms any higher.

I have about 120,000 km on it.
It is a 3.8l

Any thoughts????

Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TJCampbell
I have a '07

I recently replaced EGR valve.

My check engine light is now flashing! I pulls these 2 codes:
P2302
P0406

I had a leak in the intake manifold where the EGR tube connects, but that is fixed. I do need to get replacement intake manifold cover.

What happens now, is a rough idle, but idling RPMs are good (approx 800). I took it for a short drive, and noticed if I hit 3000 rpm and/or 40km/hr the van shakes and engine shudders quite bad, and will not let me go any faster or get the rpms any higher.

I have about 120,000 km on it.
It is a 3.8l

Any thoughts????
TJCampbell,

I'm sorry to hear of your issues. The P2302 code is related to the ignition coil. This code can also be associated with spark plugs and the PCM. Is the symptom intermittent, or does the shutter occur every time you reach that speed.

Fault code P0406 is related to the EGR position sensor. Did you have the repairs completed at a Dodge dealer?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:54 AM
TJCampbell

Because I no longer have warranty on the van, I changed out the EGR myself - which is a pretty simple job. Nor can I afford the costs associated with getting the repairs done at a dealership.

Plus that last time I had it at the dealer (from a small accident that happened last winter), they gave me more trouble than it was worth. I got the van back after having the front (fascia?) replaced as I slid into a shuttle bus on icy roads going only about 10km/hr. I am driving it home, the speedometer and all gauges did not work. I brought it back and they wanted to charge me to fix that, even though it worked when I brought it in!!!!

The stuttering/shrugging just started happening last night. I basically can't drive it right now if I can't go over 40km/hr or 3000 rpm.

The sad part is, this van has caused me and my wife nothing but headaches. I really feel I was hosed at the dealership I purchased it at. There was a small rust spot at the edge of the liftgate I noticed before we purchased - salesman said it's just surface rust and will be taken care of before we pick it up. Well now I have a large rust spot that is flaking off!

On top of that - my rear wiper no long works, and I had the motor tested and it works fine, so I also have a rear window wiper that is useless now.

Last edited by TJCampbell; 09-19-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:14 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When was the last time the plugs and wires were changed? If it was recently you could just have a loose wire, if it was not start there.

Rear wiper motor is probably minimal, fuse, wiring, or switch.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 AM
TJCampbell

Originally Posted by smokesxt
When was the last time the plugs and wires were changed? If it was recently you could just have a loose wire, if it was not start there.

Rear wiper motor is probably minimal, fuse, wiring, or switch.
I did pull the spark plugs and they are original - very dirty, corroded, so I will be replacing those. When I pulled the wires off - a couple of them had the clip that attaches onto the plug come out too -so I guess new wires are on tap as well.

For the wiper motor - it's not a fuse, and a voltage tester shows I have voltage in the connection - so..... switch? I can do without thet rear wiper - minor inconvenience.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:23 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by TJCampbell
I did pull the spark plugs and they are original - very dirty, corroded, so I will be replacing those. When I pulled the wires off - a couple of them had the clip that attaches onto the plug come out too -so I guess new wires are on tap as well.

For the wiper motor - it's not a fuse, and a voltage tester shows I have voltage in the connection - so..... switch? I can do without thet rear wiper - minor inconvenience.
If your wires are that bad they can be grounding out and cause all kinds of issues. Start with that.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:15 PM
TJCampbell

OK - update:

Replaced all 6 spark plugs and wires.

Still has a rough idle, although idle RPMs seem good (~800). Again, when I drive it, if I get to 3000rpm it shakes (bucks?) like crazy. I tried a hard acceleration (pedal to floor pretty much) so it got to 3000rpm in 1st gear - bucks, won't get over 40km/hr. I tried a slow acceleration - will actually get over 40km/hr, but still, as soon as I hit 3000rpm - same thing.

If I pull codes using the key - I get: P0300, P0406. This is using a new EGR valve, and I've taken it off and cleaned it a few times as well.

So, $100 later on plugs and wires, and we are still no farther ahead.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:52 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Possible causes
- EGR Valve clogged, dirty or leaky
- EGR valve damaged/defective
- EGR volume control solenoid valve
- EGR temperature sensor and circuit
- EGR volume control solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- EGR volume control solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
Help with Possible causes What does this mean?
Tech notes
Dodge , Chrysler 3.3 EGR valve replacement codes P0404 and P0406

User submitted video
Help with Tech Notes What does this mean?
When is the code detected?
An improper voltage signal is sent to ECM through the valve
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine hesitation
P0406 Chrysler Description
Early Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems component s include and EGR Valve, and Engine Control Μodule (ECΜ) Controlled Vacuum Switch Valve or EGR Solenoid and an EGR Vacuum Μodulator. Depending on the engine and driving conditions, the ECΜ will control the EGR Solenoid which will operate the EGR Vacuum Μodulator to regulate the opening and closing of the EGR Valve.

The EGR system on recently built vehicles uses a step motor to control the flow rate of EGR from exhaust manifold. This motor has four winding phases. It operates according to the output pulse signal of the ECΜ. Two windings are turned ON and OFF in sequence. Each time an ON pulse is issued, the valve opens or closes, changing the flow rate. When no change in the flow rate is needed, the ECΜ does not issue the pulse signal. Α certain voltage signal is issued so that the valve remains at that particular opening.

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0406_chrysl...#ixzz3E41jP07h

Here's what I could find on the p0406.

And here's the p0300,
Possible causes
- Faulty spark plug (s)
- Faulty ignition coil (s)
- Clogged or faulty fuel injector (s)
- Intake air leak
- Fuel injectors harness is open or shorted
- Fuel Injectors circuit poor electrical connection
- Ignition coils harness is open or shorted
- Ignition coils circuit poor electrical connection
- Insufficient cylinders compression
- Incorrect fuel pressure
Tech notes
The P0300 code means that a cylinder(s) is misfiring or is randomly misfiring. Start by checking for intake leaks, intake gaskets are common caused of multi-cylinder misfiring. If no leak are found the next step is to replace the spark plugs. If the problem persist more tests needs to be done to diagnose problem, see "Possible Causes"
Help with Tech Notes What does this mean?
When is the code detected?
The control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition
Possible symptoms
- Lack/loss of power
- Hard start
- Engine hesitation
P0300 Dodge Description
When a misfire occurs, engine speed will fluctuate. If the engine speed fluctuates enough to cause the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signal to vary, the Engine Control Module (ECM) can determine that a misfire is occurring.

But I think your original code P2302, has the most telltale signs at this point,
Possible causes
- Faulty spark plug or coil boot
- Faulty Ignition Coil 1
- Ignition Coil 1 harness is open or shorted
- Ignition Coil 1 circuit poor electrical connection
Possible symptoms
- Engine may be running rough
P2302 Dodge Description
The ignition system is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on all engines. Each cylinder is equipped with 1 dual-output coil. Meaning one coil mounts directly over one of the dual spark plugs for 1 high-voltage output.

Battery voltage is supplied to all of the ignition coils positive terminals from the ASD relay. If the PCM does not see a signal from the crankshaft and camshaft sensors (indicating the ignition key is ON but the engine is not running), it will shut down the ASD circuit.

Base ignition timing is not adjustable. By controlling the coil ground circuits, the PCM is able to set the base timing and adjust the ignition timing advance. This is done to meet changing engine operating conditions.

The PCM adjusts ignition timing based on inputs it receives from:

- The engine coolant temperature sensor

- The crankshaft position sensor (engine speed)

- The camshaft position sensor (crankshaft position)

- The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor

- The throttle position sensor

- Transmission gear selection

Hopefully this info will help.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:26 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

At least pull together the funds to pay a diag fee. It may save you a lot of pain.

You can do the repairs yourself.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-22-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:54 PM
TJCampbell

Update - First of all, never read the codes from the display by using the key - I have heard from more than a couple mechanics, this does not give you an accurate reading of what's wrong - use a true code reader!

I found out from a mechanic a friend of mine put me in touch with the following:

A) needs a new wiper motor
B) needs a new coil for cylinder #4 (was only firing/running on 5 cylinders)

These 2 issues are remedied.

He also has fixed my intake manifold upper issue apparently.

However.... he also told me there seems to be wiring fault somewhere that is causing some kind of problem, and is working on figuring that out.

So, in all this time, I have not driven the fan. So yah....headaches continue.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2007 Gr Caravan SXT - stutters