Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Transmission question ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 PM
carafan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question ?

So i have a 96 that needs another transmission this will be it's third the original went 325.000 plus Km the replacement 35.000 .
I have an AWD van i am going to part out seems to me i read somewhere that if you replace the right transmission housing extension with one from a FWD trans and remove a boss that only the AWD trans has it will work problem is i cant find that article now has anyone done this or have any ideas ?
The van currently has a 98 ? or 99 ? trans in it now i do know you can go up to 04 on these no problem as i have done that swap a few times but i already have this trans so i may as well use it if i can .

Old 10-06-2014, 10:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you replace the right axle housing and use RTV to seal it. The problem you may have is the torque converter and the TRS. You do have the transmission set up for a TRS sensor?

Old 10-07-2014, 05:38 PM
carafan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
If you replace the right axle housing and use RTV to seal it. The problem you may have is the torque converter and the TRS. You do have the transmission set up for a TRS sensor?
The Transmission range sensor ? The one on top of the tranny that controls things like back up lights neutral safety and all that ? Why would that be a problem ? Do you mean because the harness lugs are different round versus spade ? The 96 has already been switched over to the newer type i really can't remember which is which right now but the current tranny in it is from a 99 i just cut the old plug off the 96 and soldered in the newer type from the 99 .
Could i take the axle housing from the 99 tranny ?
What problems would i have with the torque convertor ?
I was actually going to sell this AWD tranny but never really got a decent enough offer.
Thanks.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The flex plate may not bolt up to the torque converter. You would need to remove the flex pate and match up to the converter.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Transmission question ?