Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: The Great 2015 Tire Hunt

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM
RenHoek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Great 2015 Tire Hunt

All right fellow GC riders I need your help...

I'm finally in the market for new tires and I'm struggling to make the final call.

I drive alot for work (Project Manager) and on a slow day it'll be 60 miles minimum. That's 15k per year already...

I am searching for a set of 235/60R16's (I have 100V's on there now but the tire guy is recommending 100H's)

One of my local tire shops has recommended the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring. Anyone know if these are worth the $670 investment?

The tire guy says passenger tires go on mini-vans as std. True or False

Should I consider a more truck style tire? Something with stiffer sidewalls? GC's ain't light... Comfort is not my goal, gas mileage and longevity are my primary purposes.

HiveBrain of the DodgeForum!!! Give me counsel!!

Old 03-16-2015, 07:15 PM
tjnc
Professional

I hate to admit it, but unless I'm buying used-good tires, I go to a certain department store everyone hates and get get them OEM size with better load-rating for $85.00 each, and that's with warranty, and $75 each without.. I'm really good at finding deals, and I even go to mom&pop shops looking, and I've yet to beat that.. I pull campers across one of the biggest continents on Earth too, so I'd know if I bought crap..

I shop by load-rating and tread width.. Narrower tread-width equates to drastically better economy.. In my searching I've never seen load-rating effect price, cheaper actually have better often..

Old 05-24-2015, 10:40 PM
sailorbeavis
Default Tiger Paw = excellent tire if you don't want to go Michelin / BFG.

I know this is a bit of a Lazarus thread, but I love the Tiger Paw Touring. Have done since I had a Chevrolet pickup and it came with a set. I was able to get 40 MPG highway with those tires and careful driving... (pre-ethanol)

They do have excellent wear qualities, I have them on my fleet Caravan and can get close to the warranty on them, as opposed to the Goodyear Vivas the company was buying. It is, as I said in the subject, an excellent mid-range tire if you do not want to spend the money for a set of Michelins.

Another good mid-range bet is the BFGoodrich Touring or Traction T/A. One of the issues with the Pentastar engine and that six-speed is torque steer in the wet, and I have not seen it at all with either the Tiger Paws, the Traction T/As, or the Michelins that I had on a rental Town and Country. With the stock Kumhos, though... screeech, squeal, skid!

There is a reason why Dodge is putting Conti's on the new ProMasters... and it's not just cost.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:26 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sailorbeavis
One of the issues with the Pentastar engine and that six-speed is torque steer in the wet, and I have not seen it at all with either the Tiger Paws, the Traction T/As, or the Michelins that I had on a rental Town and Country.
Doesn't this require torque?

If you're looking for longevity, the Tiger Paws will last a long time, or something like the Firestone Precision Tourings.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:02 AM
gnichols700

All I run is Michelin MXV4. Expensive? yes... but I don't hear them, I don't feel them and they handle great. Go to Discount Tire for best price.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by gnichols700
All I run is Michelin MXV4. Expensive? yes... but I don't hear them, I don't feel them and they handle great. Go to Discount Tire for best price.
That's pretty much any tire 215/65 or taller.. Let me know when you find a low profile that can do that..

I buy by load rating first and price second. No manufacturer has a limited liability with their tires, so they're not going to risk epic lawsuits with poor manufacturing.. Worse case scenario they have a less efficient tread.. Not sure what is with the buy by brand movement..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Batt4Christ

Heavier "truck-type" tires are just that - heavier, so won't be a help at all in fuel economy (indeed, will hurt you in that regard). Personally, I like to comparison shop my tires on tirerack and read customer reviews of the tires that meet my chosen features/characteristics. Even if I buy locally, I still research them online.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Batt4Christ

Originally Posted by sailorbeavis
I know this is a bit of a Lazarus thread, but I love the Tiger Paw Touring. Have done since I had a Chevrolet pickup and it came with a set. I was able to get 40 MPG highway with those tires and careful driving... (pre-ethanol)
40mpg from ANY Chevrolet Pickup? Really??? Not even with a Diesel!!!

But back to the OP - though an old thread:

Early in my driving days, I couldn't STAND anything from Uniroyal. And the TigerPaws, while a reasonable tread pattern (back in their early days), they didn't last worth a toot.

WE did end up buying a set for one of our vehicles about 8 years ago - about the time the newer "Tourning" version - and I was duly impressed with them, though we didn't keep the car long enough to really see how long they would live.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 PM
wcknight

I recently installed a set of 4 Cooper CS5 on my 2012 GC.
Love 'em.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: The Great 2015 Tire Hunt