Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 caravan water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:33 AM
dodgeforce39
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 caravan water pump

I assume water pump, water coming out from main crankshaft straight down.
Anything else anyone run across. Forgot to mention 3.0 180k on motor

Last edited by dodgeforce39; 07-26-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not guess or assume anything. Remove the passenger sire tire/wheel and look. If water is coming from main crankshaft area it could be a rusted coolant pipe extension or blown hose. The water pump is not located above the crankshaft, its closer to the firewall.

When is the last time you replaced the hoses?

Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 PM
dodgeforce39
Amateur

pretty sure hoses never changed. 180k miles possibly original waterpump
3.0 engine so i think water pump above crankshaft at least pictures i've seen.
Will take wheel off Monday evening see if i can get a better look.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 PM
dodgeforce39
Amateur

couldn't see exactly where it's coming from however i did notice that when i raised the passenger side of the car the water flowed through the valley where the inlet pipe runs. I am now leaning toward removing the intake assembly to get a look at the pipe. I believe I can pull the pipe assembly out of the water pump at that point to take a look?

Does this seem reasonable?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:38 PM
dodgeforce39
Amateur

took top end apart, found pipe in the valley to the water pump. Quite a bit of water in the valley. Anyone know where the weep hole is located on the pump?
If it leaked out the weep hole would it go in the valley or straight down. At this point all i can do is replace the o rings and reassemble and hope the rings fix it.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 AM
dodgeforce39
Amateur

Replaced o rings found the one going inside water pump to be very hard and brittle. Inlet pipe looked in good condition no holes. Extension pipe that hooks up to lower radiator hose looked suspect. Don't think it was leaking but replaced anyway. Couple of days so far no leaks.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:50 AM
arnold.avila
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgeforce39
Replaced o rings found the one going inside water pump to be very hard and brittle. Inlet pipe looked in good condition no holes. Extension pipe that hooks up to lower radiator hose looked suspect. Don't think it was leaking but replaced anyway. Couple of days so far no leaks.
I did a water pump job on mine. Took me several days as i dont have much time. My van was leaking coolant and i couldnt figure where it was coming from. Even with all the snow in winter. Finally found a big puddle in between the "V" of the engine. Water pump was replaced and no issues ever since.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:22 AM
dodgeforce39
Amateur

Since it was very hot down here, I took it to shop and they confirmed water pump bad. Just wierd that it would leak into the valley like it did.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:38 PM
arnold.avila
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgeforce39
Since it was very hot down here, I took it to shop and they confirmed water pump bad. Just wierd that it would leak into the valley like it did.
The pump will leak out of a whole at the bottom of it if there's a bearing seal failure. My pump's bearing was done, still spinning but lots of play. When you change the water pump, change the timing belt and tensioner too. And if your crankshaft seal is leaking replace it too. If you are doing this yourself or you are just curious on how it is done check "Original Mechanic" on youtube or google. I used his videos and procedures along with my haynes manual and I did this in my yard.
Northern Sask, Canada winters are very cold, so I had to wait until spring to do this. If I had taken to the van to the shop, the total cost of the repair would've gone up 10 times, I'm sure, I only spent $130 in parts (autopartsway.ca)

Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pump was likely fine, the hose for the lower intake has a bad tendency to get a hole in it from rubbing on the metal engine cover. Have had this happen many times. The water pump is below the valley, so a leak from there will just leak out the timing belt cover. That hose however loops right over the valley, and will spray down into it.

I have bought many a 3.0 people claimed to be bad water pump, never has it been the case, it's always that little $8 hose.

This shows water pump location.

There is a small hose that goes from the pump to the intake manifold, that is usually the culprit, which shops generally misdiagnose as a bad water pump. They are also usually none the wiser that it wasn't as the hose usually gets replaced with the pump.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 caravan water pump