Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 3.8 Grand Caravan Stutter/Jerk

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 PM
mderieux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8 Grand Caravan Stutter/Jerk

(**FIXED** - See several replies below to see fix.)

For the last 9 months I have been dealing with the typical "Dodge Stutter". I own a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 with roughly 175,000 miles. There have been NO codes. No Check Engine Light.

Symptoms: The stutter happens primarily when I am accelerating. Mostly between 50 and 60mph. But it also happens when taking off from being at rest.

I have read MANY forums and still have not found a solution. Here are my workings on the van thus far. Any additional thoughts?

Repairs that just cost me money:

I am probably forgetting something. I'll make sure to add them as the thread continues. Thank you for all your thoughts and opinions! I am at an impasse.

Last edited by mderieux; 06-28-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Old 09-07-2016, 07:04 AM
    smokesxt
    Record Breaker
    Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When the trans was installed did they also install a new torque converter, solenoid pack, and sensors?

Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 AM
    mderieux

Yes. Those were replaced too. Thanks for asking!

Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 AM
    cv2003
    Veteran
    Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ever have an extended misfire with this van in the past? If so, have the cat tested for blockage (or remove the upstream O2 sensor for a quick test if you can do that without bothering anyone).

Beyond that, a real-time data stream reader might be helpful in determining how the engine is running.

You didn't do all that transmission stuff just trying to fix this problem, right? I hope you'll say that was done to fix a separate issue.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:09 AM
    smokesxt
    Record Breaker
    Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did they use the correct fluid in the trans?
    Reason I ask is these transmissions are very particular about fluid. If they used anything except ATF+4, it can cause the issues you're experiencing.
    I am currently trying to figure out a similar issue on a 99 Grand I want to use the driveline out of, it shudders like crazy taking off. Once moving if you try to give it, it will shudder. The trans in here only has 200mi on a Mopar rebuilt trans, but no one knows what fluid was used, and no one knows whether the TC was replaced.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:03 AM
    mderieux

Cv2003 - I am afraid I did(plus more). I'll check the O2 sensor (upstream) I have a feeling though it's fine.but thanks!

Smokes - Yes my mechanic put ATF+4. When he bought he trains they actually gave him the transmission fluid to make sure he used the right one. Sounds like we are having similar issues and I see this problem all over the forums with dodge.

The latest mechanic thinks it's a bad spark plug. I already changed these once to fix the problem but will do it again. Maybe I used bad plugs? Or I screwed up a gap? I doubt it, but I am not perfect! I also bought new cords and a coilpack. I tested my coilpack to compare with the old one. I throw a meter on them both and see what I come up with.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 AM
    cv2003
    Veteran
    Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion was to remove the upstream O2 sensor, not to check it. The idea is to partially open up the exhaust pathway for a short test, in order to see if doing so improves or eliminates the performance issue. If it does, that would tend to point to the cat being clogged. Or, if you can't do the O2 test due to noise, you can have the cat checked via a back pressure test.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 PM
    mderieux

Sent my PCM in on Friday ($110 with shipping) for testing. Just got word back that my PCM is fine! ;( Back to the drawing board.

Checked the plugs, wires, and coilpack. They are all fine. I guess I could check my injectors.

cv2003 - I gotcha. Waiting for my PCM to come back and then I will do that test. Nothing else seems to be a problem.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:08 AM
    mderieux

Finally the PCM came in today. Going to do the sensor removal test sometime in the future. Hurting for time.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:57 PM
    mderieux

Ok got the PCM back in and now its throwing only one code! P0202! So now I am going to check the wiring/current to the fuel injector and the resistance on the fuel injector entering cylinder 2.

So here is the question:
    If the fuel injector is bad can I get away with just replacing one? Or do I have to replace them all to make sure the resistance of all the injectors matches?

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 3.8 Grand Caravan Stutter/Jerk