Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Power Steering Pump Noisy

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:29 AM
zoom996
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Noisy

On my 06 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 I replaced the reservoir because of some groans in the steering. I flushed the system with fresh chrysler atf 4. I bleed the system of air. Now my power steering pump is noisy all the time. It's like a loud grinding noise, consist with the running of the engine. The noise rises and falls with the rpm of the engine. Is there anything I can add to the fluid to make the noise stop? Any other possible solutions? I don't want to buy a new pump.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:29 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Did you install the new reservoir properly?

Old 10-21-2016, 03:30 PM
zoom996
Amateur

First I unbolted the reservoir at all points, even the hard to get to back one. Then I used a turkey baster to remove the old fluid from the reservoir. Then I disconnected the hoses. I installed the new one in reverse order and filled with new fluid. I cranked the engine and filled reservoir to hot level. While running, I turned steering wheel from lock to lock maybe four or so times to bleed air out. Then I used turkey baster to remove then add fluid until mostly new fluid is in reservoir.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:48 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything you described is what's typically done by everyone else, except the last step, which I've not seen mentioned by anyone in the past. I never had any noise issues after doing the reservoir on mine, and I can't recall anyone else reporting pump noise either.

So I suspect that air got into the system (i.e. pump) when you did the additional res evacuate and refills. Have you tried additional bleeding by idling for a while with the res cap off and a rag around it to catch spillage?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:19 PM
zoom996
Amateur

I tried bleeding the air out again but still noisy. Could the new reservoir be clogged already?

Old 11-12-2016, 07:52 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

I hope you did not bleed the new fluid with the motor running? . think you supposed to left front tires off ground and go wheel to wheel. then keep adding the fluid then when its full then start. if the pump was run dry the bearing in it probably now is toast. new pump.

Originally Posted by zoom996
I tried bleeding the air out again but still noisy. Could the new reservoir be clogged already?

Old 11-13-2016, 03:50 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
I hope you did not bleed the new fluid with the motor running? . think you supposed to left front tires off ground and go wheel to wheel. then keep adding the fluid then when its full then start. if the pump was run dry the bearing in it probably now is toast. new pump.
Thanks for your advice. I never thought about bleeding the air out with the engine off. I just (today) replaced the power steering hoses on my 2000 base. Used your method. Worked great. Saved me time, and possibly money. I used Gates hoses. They worked, but were a giant PIA. Next time I will use MOPAR - if they still make them. Thanks, again.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 PM
zoom996
Amateur

I replaced the power steering pump. It's still noisy. I replaced the idler pulley, tensioner, and belt. It's still noisy. That leaves only the a/c compressor, water pump, and alternator. I will post a video of the sound in another thread to see if anyone recognizes the source of the noise. I should've done that to start.