Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Any Home Mechanic fixes for the P0740 TCC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Buschman007
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Home Mechanic fixes for the P0740 TCC?

My 2011 GC has thrown the P0740. Van seems to be running fine other than the lock up isn't working, so even though all 6 gears are working, it feels like an old school non lockup auto transmission. Lost a few MPGs on the highway.

If driving at highway speeds we will be in 6th gear at say 2500RPM, you can feel the TCC try to lock up. RPMs pull down to like 1000-1500 but then bounce back up to 2500. Have reset the ECM but the code comes back.

I've been searching through GC forums but haven't found any home mechanic solutions to this problem. I have found other vehicle forums to have the same problem and have serviceable TCC solenoids and are able to drop the pan, and swap it out for the price of the part(~$100-150). But I haven't found anyone doing that with the Caravan.

Just curious if anyone knows if our TCC solenoid is in a serviceable location? Anyone tried such a swap? Very interested to hear back from anyone who has had this issue and gotten it fixed. Particularly if you did the work yourself.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Buschman007
Amateur

Perhaps, can someone assist in pointing me in the right direction to get accurate information on which Transmission is in the 2011s? Is there a site which breaks down the parts list with good helpful visual diagrams and accurate part numbers? In searching online I see several very different parts labeled as the TCC solenoid. Some of which are serviceable by just dropping the pan, at least thats assuming I am looking at the diagram for a 2011.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-04-2017, 04:24 PM
65cobra

I am having the same problem? any fixes or what have people done to fix it?

Old 05-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Buschman007
Amateur

Originally Posted by 65cobra
I am having the same problem? any fixes or what have people done to fix it?
Well I did not get it fixed but I did a good bit of research and ended up replacing the TCC solenoid during a recent Transmission oil flush. That unfortunately did not fix the issue. I was praying that $18 part would do the job, but alas it did not work for me. If you are doing a transmissions change or flush at home, might not be a bad idea to try. Just cause it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it wouldn't work for others.

I took some pics of the replacement. Where are most people hosting their pictures to share on this forum? Or does the forum host them for you?

Mike

Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 PM
65cobra

I went through the diagnostics Master Tech posted and my TC appears to be working at the 50 mph test but the code comes back on pretty quick.

how was your fluid on the flush did it smell burnt or anything? I always thought the TC was pretty trouble free.

where did you get the solenoid at? It may be worth a try.....

Old 06-06-2017, 08:01 PM
65cobra

fuel mileage is getting worse.....

Old 06-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Buschman007
Amateur

Originally Posted by 65cobra
I went through the diagnostics Master Tech posted and my TC appears to be working at the 50 mph test but the code comes back on pretty quick.

how was your fluid on the flush did it smell burnt or anything? I always thought the TC was pretty trouble free.

where did you get the solenoid at? It may be worth a try.....
Fluid was brown and looked like used motor oil. No redness left. But it did not smell burnt.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Buschman007
Amateur

Originally Posted by Buschman007
Well I did not get it fixed but I did a good bit of research and ended up replacing the TCC solenoid during a recent Transmission oil flush. That unfortunately did not fix the issue. I was praying that $18 part would do the job, but alas it did not work for me. If you are doing a transmissions change or flush at home, might not be a bad idea to try. Just cause it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it wouldn't work for others.

I took some pics of the replacement. Where are most people hosting their pictures to share on this forum? Or does the forum host them for you?

Mike
I have good news. The TCC is working again and the code and CEL have cleared.

Couple of things to note. I did a full Tranny system flush, not just a pan drop and change. I disconnected the trans line from the cooler back to the tranny and ran a tube out to a container. Admittedly I ran it a little too long at one point and sucked a little air into the torque converter. Made it a pain in the *** to flush out the air and get the fluid level right. But eventually ran it, let it sit, added a little fluid, ran it, let it sit, added a little oil. Eventually got it squared away.

Once the level was stabilized. I noticed a very hard 3-4 shift. I was concerned about this.

While doing all this work the battery was disconnected, so the ECU was reset. Took the van out on the highway to try and engage the TCC. It attempted to engage and immediately through a CEL and the P0740 code. So I thought it was a failed experiment. But I did get the tranny flushed which was needed, so not a waste.

After about a week the 3-4 shift mellowed out and the tranny was actually shifting beautifully.

Ran great for about a month. Then one day the car has trouble starting. Turned over once and stops. Shift to neutral and it works. I'm not sure this is at all related. But I feel like that issue may have somehow reset the ECU. Shortly after this issue the CEL went away. Then I could feel the TCC working again. It is definitely working again. Gas mileage has gone up at least 2mpg combined.

Not sure if it was just the Tranny flush or the TCC solenoid swap or both, but the issue is now fixed. It's an $18 part so since you will have the fluid drained, I recommend swiping this part when you do your 100K mile tranny fluid change, if you have the P0740 code.

Last edited by Buschman007; 06-12-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 AM
Buschman007
Amateur

Pictures of the TCC.

In these pictures the front Tranny cover has been removed. To remove this cover I recommend unhooking the Coolant reservoir. You don't have to completely disconnect it, just get it off the front frame so you can wiggle that cover down underneath the car.

Here are some pics of the TCC replacement if anyone is interested.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:33 PM
Walter Pawlowski

I have same issue on my 2013 Grand Caravan.
How do I know if my TCC is engaging?
The P0740 code is bugging me a bit.
Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Any Home Mechanic fixes for the P0740 TCC?