Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

09 Grand Caravan Brake Fluid Sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 05:48 PM
djjammaster11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Grand Caravan Brake Fluid Sensor replacement

I was told by the Dodge dealership that I need a Brake Fluid Sensor switch. I would like to know if it is difficult to replace? Looks easy but before I try it I would like a little advice. Thank you very much.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty easy, it slides through the opening under the fluid reservoir. I squeeze the tabs with an open end wrench and then just slide it out.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
djjammaster11

Thanks! It sounds easy but looks like the top of the Master Cylinder needs to come off. It that what needs to be done to access the clip inside the Reservoir.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

from the 2009 RT factory service manual:

05 - Brakes/05 - Brakes, Base/Hydraulic/Mechanical/MASTER CYLINDER, Brake/Disassembly
DISASSEMBLY

1. Clean the master cylinder housing and brake fluid reservoir. Use only Mopar® Brake Parts Cleaner or equivalent.
2. Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap. Empty as much brake fluid as possible from the reservoir.

CAUTION: When removing the fluid reservoir from the master cylinder, do not attempt to pry it off using any type of tool. This can damage the fluid reservoir or master cylinder housing.

3. Remove the screw fastening the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder housing.
4. Pull the reservoir straight up and remove it from the grommet seals in master cylinder housing.
5. If the reservoir is being replaced, remove the fluid level switch. To do so, push up on the tab at the bottom of the reservoir and pull the brake fluid level switch out.
6. Remove the vacuum seal from the master cylinder mounting flange.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

No, it just slides out the side. The retaining is external. You will understand better when you get the new part. The end of the switch is the retainer, you squeeze it together and push it through.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM
djjammaster11

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
from the 2009 RT factory service manual:

05 - Brakes/05 - Brakes, Base/Hydraulic/Mechanical/MASTER CYLINDER, Brake/Disassembly
DISASSEMBLY

1. Clean the master cylinder housing and brake fluid reservoir. Use only Mopar® Brake Parts Cleaner or equivalent.
2. Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap. Empty as much brake fluid as possible from the reservoir.

CAUTION: When removing the fluid reservoir from the master cylinder, do not attempt to pry it off using any type of tool. This can damage the fluid reservoir or master cylinder housing.

3. Remove the screw fastening the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder housing.
4. Pull the reservoir straight up and remove it from the grommet seals in master cylinder housing.
5. If the reservoir is being replaced, remove the fluid level switch. To do so, push up on the tab at the bottom of the reservoir and pull the brake fluid level switch out.
6. Remove the vacuum seal from the master cylinder mounting flange.
Thank you very much! Simple enough.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM
me01
Default Can you buy it anywhere else besides dealership

Brake Fluid Sensor switch

Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

I don't know, let us know

Old 04-25-2015, 06:42 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by me01
Can you buy it anywhere else besides dealership

Brake Fluid Sensor switch
You can get Duralast part # SU15046 at Autozone for $40.00.

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...el/664013_0_0/

Quick Reply: 09 Grand Caravan Brake Fluid Sensor replacement