Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Caravan, Incremental Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 07:36 PM
hunterd557
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caravan, Incremental Shifting

Hey everyone, I've done some searching and I guess I'm not looking close enough, but everyone seems to have a transmission problem at one point but none quite like this.

First off. The tranny used to stick in 1st gear so we decided that the transmission was shot so we replaced it.

Secondly. Transmission replaced with a used one, that was rebuilt and it shifted fine on the way home.

No rough driving, allowing for a break in period, and we parked it up for the night.

NOW! The transmission leaks slowly, which is weird considering that it's a rebuild. Also, it STILL STICKS IN FIRST GEAR!

Sometimes it will shift, but it's only when it wants to shift. You start it up, say a prayer and drive off. Sometimes it'll shift, but it slips. Other times, it'll just ride out first gear for as long as you are driving. Quarter throttle, half throttle, FULL THROTTLE, it doesn't matter.

It's starting to become a problem. The speedometer will fluxuate up and down from 0 to what ever speed it THINKS you are going. Usually, when it reads the speed properly, it will shift, but even when it reads the speed properly, it'll decide that it does NOT want to shift.

I don't know if I have to replace the tranny again, or just the VSS or the PCM or ECU. I really don't know. I'm trying to save the most amount of money before really TEARING into this project because I need to save as much money as necessary for the engine rebuild.

If there is anyone who can help me as to why this van is shifting when it wants. I'm honestly out of ideas.

Thank you in advance,
-Dave

Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 96 Caravan, Incremental Shifting

What kind of shop installed a junk transmission and why didn't you take it back as soon as it started acting up???
I had a shifting problem with my wifes 93 and it turned out to be the speed sensor that sits between the fluid cooler lines.It cost about $20 and required removing the radiator fan and battery tray to get to the sensor.The sensor needs a 1 inch wrench to remove.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

When you say it sticks, do you mean it seems to only stay in one gear? It sounds to me like it might have gone into limp mode which will only give you second gear. Check your engine codes and I think you will find either a speed sensor or transmission controller code. The Speed sensor is the likely one with a bouncy speedometer. It operates with a magnetic pick-up and can attract metal and fail. Take it out and clean or replace it. If there is metal on it, it might indicate a further internal problem... Good luck... this sensor can be reached from underneath with 1"WRENCH. It is a plastic case, so don't strip it out.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:03 PM
hunterd557

Awesome! I apreciate all of your help, it really means a lot. I'm trying to fix this car for my mother, she's in a little bit of a financial bind right now, and I like this van so if I can fix it, I would rather do that then to have it be undersold.

I really don't know why they didn't take it back, I'm not getting a straight answer from her or my dad. I just recently separated from the Marine Corps so when they replaced the transmission I was still in Pentagon Territory. If they ARE going to sell it, I would rather FIX the problem and allow for them to tac another 500-1000 dollars on the price tag, because as it stands they are going to sell this beautifuly running car for 1500 and the last time I purchased a car for under 1500 it was a 86 Camaro with a rusted-through floor.

I will check the engine codes immediately, I have a question, since this is MOPAR (God bless them) can I run a self diagnostic at the ignition or do I need a code reader/mechanic to check them out? I, personally, am a member of the SCCA and I race the Team Mopar #37 Dodge Neon, and when it was still mine, I knew that if I was getting a trouble code I could simply alternate the ignition between off and on and after a few times the CEL would flash and it would indicate the code that is throwing the light.

Does the Caravan do this, I assume it would since one of the greatest automakers in the world have thrown this vehicle together. I guess I'll have to pick up an Engine Code Manual and Haynes Manual in order to understand the codes however.

I appreciate the help, keep it coming!

Thank you,
David Adams

P.S.-Anyone know any details about those Turbo Caravans or getting these 3.3's to run pretty quickly?? Not important, I'll just read around and I'm sure I'll find it.

***EDIT*** I checked out what you said and drove the car. I noticed that it DOES pick up from a stand still like it's in second gear. Thank you, that might mean that it IS in limp-home-mode, which means that it's probably something mild to moderate, as opposed to severe. I'll never understand those who drive automatics, but, hey! It's my mother's van, lol!

Old 05-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Kolhoznik

on caravans you can indeed chaeck the codes with the CEL. It's been a while since I've done it, but it should be the same procedure as you do with any other mopar.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:16 PM
hunterd557

Hey guys, get this....

I went in and started pulling items apart. I removed the hood, the battery, the battery tray, all induction and then pulled the sensor.

This is where things start to get awkward...

My mom had to make a run to the store for a few so she needed the van. Here I am ripping the front end apart, LOL! So I do the right thing and start putting it back together. Hey, the store is only 2 miles away, even with poor shifting it should still make it.

I get the sensor, battery tray, battery and indution system put back in, and then I align the hood and put the hood on (remember to always use markers to align your hood when you take it off. I learned the hard way on my Neon)

Anyway, I go to plug the terminal in and the PCM runs through a power cycle. The winshield wipers go up and down and I hear a ding from inside the passenger compartment. I assume that it's just the vehicle applying power back to everything it controls, no biggie.

So I start the van, and go for a test drive before giving her the keys. That's when I noticed that the codes have cleared from the ECU; this is normal for almost any car, they all clear codes when the power is lost, so I didn't get TOO happy, I just sat and waited for the CEL to respawn itself. NEVER HAPPENED!

So I cycle through the gear selections. NADA! Okay, so I'm feeling a little good now... I pop her in reverse, back the 100,000,000 feet (or so it feels like when backing a van) out of the drive way and take her for a cruise.

Despite needing a much deserved tune up, which I will do (my parents drove it for a year and a half without so much as changing the oil) and needing some new brakes, the vehicle seems fine. It shifted as it should, down shifted when I blipped the throttle to the floor and allowed for some screaching when I left from a stop sign.

Yep, I was trying to abuse it. I wanted to see if the CEL was going to come back on, and I know that if anyone can get a CEL to come on, it's this SCCA instructor, LMAO!!! But nothing happened. It just took it all, the front end turned around, looked at me and said . . . "You know, if you're going to keep doing this, you could at least give me 9MM spark plug wires."

Agreed... So I stopped. Took it back home and allowed for the folks to drive her. My dad was amazed because it's been like this, apparently, for a year and a half. My mom loves it because now she doesn't have to sell it and she can finally have her van back.

I'm just happy because now they can stop complaining about needing a car and how the van keeps acting up.

Hopefully it stays like that, but just to be sure, I'm going to replace the vehicle speed sensor with a Wells unit and I'm going to also going to try to get the gasket replaced because this transmission does have a slow leak at the seal so that shouldn't be a HUGE problem, just an afternoon headache.

Thanks guys for all of your help, I really don't know if I would have thought to just clear the ECU without your help.

Take Care,
-Dave

Old 05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Kolhoznik

That should have been the first thing to do...

Hey man, you've got the car I've always wanted...an IROC-Z...

Old 05-02-2006, 07:30 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Sometimes clearing the codes will get you by for quite some time,(had that experience on my 91 Grand Caravan, cleared the codes every 100 miles for a few thousand miles more) but usually there was a reason it behaved and set the code. Make sure you inspecct the old speed sensor for metal flakes. Also if you are going to do the gasket the filter will tell you oodles. In the case of my 91 GC there was so much metal that it was disrupting the solenoid pack and causing the irratic shifting. Turning off the motor sometimes reset it , but usually had to disconnect the ground when it set the hard code. Good luck and when you drop the pan , use the better, +3 or +4 fluid instead of DexronIII, it makes a huge difference.

Quick Reply: 96 Caravan, Incremental Shifting