Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help with Air Filter (newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:21 AM
snakeeyes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Air Filter (newbie)

I am a basic noob in car and truck maintenance so sorry about not using terminology that experts use but I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan 2.4 Dohc Liter engine, possibly a late model not sure, and am looking for information on replacing my air filter. I have checked the service manual on autozone.com's website and was ready to undertake the job, but to my avail I noticed under the hood the layouts different than the 96-99 dodge caravan manual on the autozone website. My owners manual doesn't even specify on how to change it. If someone is changing out their air filter any time soon can they take some pictures and help describe how to remove the air filter. As I am not in the know with the terminology that is used, Or possibly point me to the right direction, can someone that is mechanically inclined do this, like me, or do I have to take it to the dealer or local repair shop. Thanks in advanced.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:50 PM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: Help with Air Filter (newbie)

You don't need a mechanic to do this job Your layout should be similar to mine. Look on the front right hand side of the motor. Next to your battery. There should be a biggish gray or black box. You'll need to take this off to get to the air filter compartment. The first time I tried to change my air filter, I got really confused too. It sounds, in the manual, like this box contains the air filter, but it doesn't. It's easiest to get this box off is by removing the battery first, to give easy access to the hose clamps holding the box on. After you get the box off, look down, like a little in front of where the battery is. You should see another box with the back of the air filter showing. Release the clamps and remove old filter, put new filter in, reclamp, and put everything back together. Hope this was helpful, and in plain English lol!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:59 AM
minivanin
Professional

whoa whoa whoa

no need to remove battery!

just take a flathead screwdriver in your right hand, reach down behind the driver side headlight & loosen the upper clamp, then loosen the clamp at the throttle body, then remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold the intake resonator down, & just wiggle a little & it should swing right up

then with your right hand, reach down to the air box, on the side that faces the transmission, there is 2 clips, fling 'em open with your thumb, grab the lid, swing open then VIOLA! you have it all apart

i highly suggest a K&N or Fram AirHog drop in replacement filter, it flows better, & you only have to service them around every 50,000miles, & when you have to reuse them, just simply wash & recoat them with their special filter oil

-greg

Old 06-15-2006, 05:20 PM
greaseangel
Professional

Well, there's a little more of me to love, I can't get to it without my knuckles paying the price if I don't take the battery out.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:35 PM
snakeeyes

So are there two filters I see a rectangular box next to the battery with hose clamps holding it, then in front just below the battery where the front headlight is I see another box with a screw holding it. when looking just below the box in the location where the headlight is there is a clamp. Do I take out both of these filters, and my question is how do you open the box next to the side of the battery without breaking anything. I'll try posting a picture of what I am describing. Sures a pain in the *** (excuse my language) if that's what I have to do.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:26 PM
greaseangel
Professional

You do NOT open that one. That one needs to be removed first to get to the air filter. I forget what that box is for, I'm sure someone will fill us in, but do NOT try to open it! The filter is in the bottom box.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:47 PM
snakeeyes

Ok, so I loosen both hoses to take out that black box and then there should be a box just below that box that I just removed. Is that right? Thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:29 PM
minivanin
Professional

the first chamber is an intake resonator, or intake muffler, the inside has a little director for the aid in flow, it doesn't hurt performance by the look of its design, tho replacing with a straight pipe will increase noise during heavy acceleration, & on a 3.3, it sounds great, but i need some of my intake piece back so i returned it to stock, but i removed the little deflector, so the chamber better acting as an intake resouviour, intake is now just a smooth deep tone, but not loud, & seems to have more midrange torque then with just a straight pipe to the airbox

i wish i had pics to demonstrate what i'm talking about, but whatever, have fun!

-greg

Quick Reply: Help with Air Filter (newbie)