Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Power Cables for Amp through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:03 PM
ruepel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Cables for Amp through firewall

Hi everybody,

i have a 2000 Dodge Caravan and i want to install a self powered Subwoofer (Probably infinity Basslink).

Where can i route the cables from the battery through the firewall without to much fuss?

Thanks

Frank

Old 09-05-2006, 11:55 PM
xmax1
Rookie
Default RE: Power Cables for Amp through firewall

You may be able to feed it through the same gromet that the radio ant is fed through. It'll be a pain, but possible.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:37 AM
jeffery0266

I ran my power wire with the hood release.It went pretty easily.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:41 AM
xmax1
Rookie

That's great. I had to run my power wire under the van in flex conduit. The wire is simply too big to put under the carpet (1/0 ga).

Check out the complete build up at :http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11056

I'm still working on it little by little.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
xmax1
Rookie

That's great. I had to run my power wire under the van in flex conduit. The wire is simply too big to put under the carpet (1/0 ga).

Check out the complete build up at :

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11056

I'm still working on it little by little.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
jeffery0266

Hey X,I was looking at your build up on caraudio and I noticed you talked about a whinning sound through your stereo at one time.I am having a horrible engine noise comming through mine.I have tried different ground spots and nothing has helped.I tried a ground loop isolator and it didn't work.What did you do to get rid of the noise?

Old 09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
xmax1
Rookie

ORIGINAL: jeffery0266

Hey X,I was looking at your build up on caraudio and I noticed you talked about a whinning sound through your stereo at one time.I am having a horrible engine noise comming through mine.I have tried different ground spots and nothing has helped.I tried a ground loop isolator and it didn't work.What did you do to get rid of the noise?
What kind of noise are you having? In my case, I too was using an isolator for ground loops. Originally I figured "what the hell..it can't hurt". But in turn, that is what was causing my problem. I removed it and threw it in the trash can. Problem solved!

Does the noise get louder when the engine i s reved? Go into a little detail. What kind of equipment are you using (HU, Amps, Processors,ect.)?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:52 PM
jeffery0266

All right here it goes.I am using 2 polk 12" subs and I am using a bazooka 1500 on my subs and a Bazooka 460 to push my polk 6x9's in the rear.I have yet to replace the factory in the door or the dash.The engine noise was really bad through the 6x9's.I pulled out my pioneer 7700 today and was messin around and I noticed the rear output jacks are stainless I think and the monster cable jacks are copper plated or gold and I unhooked one of the output jack and layed it on the top of the hu and the noise stopped.I thought "what tha hell???" so I plugged up the jack and took a stainless wire and wrapped around one of the jacks and grounded it to the hu and the noise was gone completly.What exactly did I do when I ran the wire to the HU?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:21 PM
xmax1
Rookie

You grounded the signal cable. In reality, the outputs of the HU are bad or insufficient. Could also be a bad set of cables. Disconnect the present cables and connect another set of "GOOD" cables. I recommend the Stinger HPM series. They're blue in color and are twisted pair. Doouble shielded. If the noise stayes gone, then you know that is (was) your problem. It never pays to use cheap cables. Other than that, re-ground your head unit direct to the body (DO NOT use the factory ground). This will also help eliminate noise by giving the headunit chassis a firm ground. Be sure to scrape any paint, rust,ect from the surface that you are grounding to. Same for amplifiers and any processors you may use.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:46 AM
jeffery0266

Thanks alot X,I will do that tommorrow.Now I got another problem...lol.I bought a set of 6x9's for the door.I slapped them in and tightened them down put the door cover back on and my friggin windows wouldn't roll up.The speakers are too deep.I was in a hurry so I rolled up the windows and then put the speakers back.I put in a new set of the concept CFA-693.They sound great and would love to keep them.I am thinking that the only way I can get them to work is putting in a spacer between the speaker and the door frame.Do they make spacers for that or do I use a few washers to space it out?I hate bothering you with all these questions but after I saw what you did with your van I know you are one I could get a right answer from.If there is anyone else who can help me out that would be great.Thanks

Quick Reply: Power Cables for Amp through firewall