Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Helppp oil sludge build up?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:10 AM
Johnnywalker54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helppp oil sludge build up?!

Last month has been insane

i got in an automobile accident ( other parties fault )
i go through the whole insurance process, and decided to go to there trusted repair shop.
Damaged are all cosmetics, repair cost 6k, no engine damages front end collision.

2 weeks later car was finally finished and I go pick up the vehicle drive it off the lot, and immediately engine dies, oil light goes on

Called the trusted repair company, tow back the vehicle after they advised me to do some things.

Repair company diagnose my car stating I need a new engine, low oil, engine died. Made a big dispute with the repair shop and insurance company trying to figure out if it's me or the accident that caused the engine failure.

Took it to a dodge dealership had it diagnosed. Dodge dealership told me there is oil residue build up which covered this screen and block oil passage. But that didn't make sense to me because I have my car for 2 1/2 years now, and I do routinely oil maintenance at jiffy lube every 5-8k synthetic.

So I guess my question is can oil residue build if I do routinely do my oil maintenance?

my vehicle is a 2007 charger, baught the car at 89k miles now 118k miles. I feel like I'm being burned by someone

Last edited by Johnnywalker54; 01-03-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:01 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

If you don't know the maintenance history of the vehicle prior to your ownership, you don't know if the oil was ever changed.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:53 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

But you bought it with 89K. That wreck must have jarred some pieces of sludge loose. It will usually collect in out of the way places and stay there.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Johnnywalker54
Old 01-03-2017, 11:34 PM
Johnnywalker54

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If you don't know the maintenance history of the vehicle prior to your ownership, you don't know if the oil was ever changed.
prior before purchasing my vehicle, I had a 125 point inspection before I purchase my vehicle

Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Johnnywalker54

Originally Posted by TNtech
But you bought it with 89K. That wreck must have jarred some pieces of sludge loose. It will usually collect in out of the way places and stay there.
I attached the pictures but is it possible Oil build up can happen that fast? I recently did an oil change 3k miles ago with new oil filter but my oil filter is full of gunk

Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Johnnywalker54
prior before purchasing my vehicle, I had a 125 point inspection before I purchase my vehicle

That means nothing. They didn't do an internal engine inspection, right?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Johnnywalker54
I attached the pictures but is it possible Oil build up can happen that fast? I recently did an oil change 3k miles ago with new oil filter but my oil filter is full of gunk

If the oil was never changed prior to your ownership, yes.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:32 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That looks more like crusty deposits than sludge. I'd say the oil changes were neglected prior to you buying the car. Once this stuff starts, it usually doesn't get better no matter what you do. Repeated clean oil will just slowly flush that stuff into the pan. Looks like those rod journals got smoked pretty good. That engine's done.

Last edited by TNtech; 01-04-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Johnnywalker54

Originally Posted by TNtech
That looks more like crusty deposits than sludge. I'd say the oil changes were neglected prior to you buying the car. Once this stuff starts, it usually doesn't get better no matter what you do. Repeated clean oil will just slowly flush that stuff into the pan. Looks like those rod journals got smoked pretty good. That engine's done.
To add on to my story about my car accident, after the accident I drove my vehicle for another 2 days before repairs. After the repairs which took 2 weeks and mainly cosmetics and few other things, no engine work. All this happen.

Can it be possible that something has failed internally lowering oil the pressure, bolts, clips and seals can break or degrade sometimes or maybe even something has gotten into the oil at some point, perhaps during repairs and helped to block an oil way?

because I never had any symptoms for the last 2 almost 3 years that I had the vehicle that should be alarming but literally 5 minutes driving off the lot engine is blown.