Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Help ASAP!!! Door handle rod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:53 PM
blackcharger06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ASAP!!! Door handle rod

I REALLY NEED SOME HELP OR ANY INFO ON THIS!!!
I was installing my new speakers in the doors when on my driver's side door the rod that connects to the inside door handle came loose. It is hard as hell to see where it goes and I have look and tried for hours to figure it out.

My car is under warrenty but since I actually screwed it up, will they charge me if I take it to the deal just to have them put that rod back in its place?

Or should I tell them that the door handle just came loose and have them fix it under warrenty if they believe it?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:49 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator
Default RE: Help ASAP!!! Door handle rod

Take a look at this PDF(<=click here), it's from the Magie but it should be very close to the Charger.

<edit> If that doesn't work throw yourself on the mercy of the dealership

Old 03-06-2007, 03:15 PM
devils_advocate90

magoInTx has a very good diagram and that should help but the warrenty should cover that no matter what but like he said if it dont work got to the delership

Old 03-06-2007, 03:30 PM
blackcharger06

well i took it to a chrysler/dodge dealership and they still charged me!! 100 bucks. They said that the gut had to fabricate a panel for it to work right. I dont believe that ****. Is it because I didnt take it to the dealer I bought it from which is an hour or more away?

Old 03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
devils_advocate90

r u serious. when my boss b ought her impala she had to put a new system in it and she broke her blinker. they just fixed it and sent her on her way so i dont y they charged you u r right that is some bull ****!!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
blackcharger06

I don't know it if was because I didnt buy it from them or what. But I didnt think a warrenty was only honor at the place of purchase. That's not right.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:54 PM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

You need to get all your vehicle info togather and write a letter to Dodge and your State attorny. That is illegal unless trhey can show you abused the vehicle per ther definition.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 PM
aycebmike

I realize I'm about 8 years late to this thread, but after having the same problem myself (and solving it), I decided to chip in.

If your rod has fallen off, most likely the door rod clip has snapped off, and you'll have to order a replacement. just ebay/google charger door rod clip. The only drawback is random cars from different factories use different sizes, just remove the clip from the other end of the rod and measure it to make sure you order the right size.

Next, disconnect the exterior door handle rods from the latch mechanism (accessible under the water protection screen). There are two, easily visible. Next, unfasten the interior door lock pin (the one that pops up/down with the power lock button) from the latch. Using a ratchet, unscrew the three bolts from the edge of the door by the latch. ONE OF THEM IS HIDDEN UNDER THE DOOR WEATHERING STRIP! Peel it back a little and it will be easily accessible. Now the latch can be easily slid out from the door (although you may have to disconnect the power wire plugged into it while you are removing it from the door, simply squeeze the plastic clips and pull). Once removed, it will be pretty obvious where the rod goes - likely, there will be a plastic clip where the rod should go. Additionally, the latch hole where the rod goes may have gotten bent a little. If it is not straight, use a pair of pliers and even things out. Remove the broken clip, insert your new one. Reattach the rod, slide the latch back in, plug the power lock cord back, install the three bolts, reattach the external door rods and pull pin lock, reattach your door, it should work. I'm happy knowing I likely save a hundred dollars doing it myself rather than taking it to the dealer.

Hope that helps any future victims!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:17 PM
mickeyknox79

You got screwed. Sorry.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 PM
mickeyknox79

Wow this is a dead forum huh? I didn't realize that post was that old. That car is probably supplying parts by now.

Quick Reply: Help ASAP!!! Door handle rod