Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Brakes sticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 04:48 PM
bigmike
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes sticking

Anybody ever encounter their brakes sticking a little. I have a brake controller that lights up when i brake, even without a trailer. Recently i have noticed that my brakes are not fully releasing when i let off..sometimes it take a full 5 seconds to release. They are not sticking fully on so i only notice a very slight dragging. This seems to be somewhat intermittent, but more so when the brakes are hot. Anybody got any ideas??

Old 05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Brakes sticking

flush your system, check all your seals and look for any leaks around master cylinder.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I don't believe it has anything to do with the brake controller, mine lights up too. I would check your brake lines, the rubber part that connects to the caliper. I've heard (I think Mayfair posted about this) that when brake lines go bad, they swell. This causes the brake fluid not to release the caliper at the rate it normally does. So what you could be feeling is the added delay from the swelled lines.

Thats just a guess based on stuff I've read in the past, but I know there was a thread floating around here that explained some of that.

Good luck

Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: bigmike

Anybody ever encounter their brakes sticking a little. I have a brake controller that lights up when i brake, even without a trailer. Recently i have noticed that my brakes are not fully releasing when i let off..sometimes it take a full 5 seconds to release. They are not sticking fully on so i only notice a very slight dragging. This seems to be somewhat intermittent, but more so when the brakes are hot. Anybody got any ideas??
Are you saying the light stays on for 5 seconds after you release or doses the light go out as soon as you release?

Old 05-14-2007, 05:50 PM
bigmike
Professional

Chewy, now that you mention it, i remember a post about that to. Your recollection of it sounds about right for my problem. Anybody else recall that post, so i can try find it??

Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Found it.....

https://dodgeforum.com/m_759602/tm.htm

Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

Maybe air in the lines???

Old 05-15-2007, 01:16 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Also check the rubber boots that cover the caliper slide bolts. If they are damaged then the bolts need to be cleaned and re-lubed and new boots installed. I have read a couple posts lately about this problem with out trucks.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 AM
kolb7
Rookie

mine was doing the same i was told the lines get old and pinch together and won't alow the brake fluid to i guess go in and out properly so we put new brake lines on and that solved it

Old 05-17-2007, 04:25 AM
SpLaT
Captain

Also check the rubber boots that cover the caliper slide bolts. If they are damaged then the bolts need to be cleaned and re-lubed and new boots installed. I have read a couple posts lately about this problem with out trucks.

I too had same problem was going through rear pads and rotors every 10,000km,( spend 85-90% offroad, very muddy/dusty roads)I was atoo late in installing the rear "brake guards", when I did get around to it never replaced the rubber boots and paid for it. I did get my Sh*t together and finally replaced the boots after cleaning and lubing the caliper bolts and so far have gone 30,000km and pads are still good!!

Quick Reply: Brakes sticking